DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ocassionally visit download.com to see what kind of new programs they have and came upon a jewel.

It's called Google Earth, basically it's a fully interactive program that shows satellite images of Earth. But unlike other websites that has posted here before, this has a bunch of options including zoom, tilt and rotate. It also tells you the exact x,y coordination as well as elevation when you move the mouse around on the image.

Anyone without broadband will be frustrated though cause even though this is a local program that is installed on your hard drive, it has to connect to the internet to download real-time info.

Here is their description of the program:
Google Earth puts a planet's worth of imagery and other geographic information right on your desktop. View exotic locales like Maui and Paris as well as points of interest such as local restaurants, hospitals, and schools.

Want to know more about a specific location? Dive right in. Google Earth combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the world’s geographic information at your fingertips. With Google Earth you can fly from space to your neighborhood-- just type in an address and zoom right in, search for schools, parks, restaurants, and hotels. Get driving directions, tilt and rotate the view to see 3D terrain and buildings, save and share your searches and favorites and even add your own annotations.

Note: Google Earth is a broadband, 3D application that not all computers can run. Windows-based desktop PCs older than 4 years old may not be able to run Google Earth and Windows-based notebook PCs older than 2 years old may not be able to run it.
Click the following link for the 10.3 mb download.
http://www.download.com/Google-Earth/3000-2054_4-10411075.html?tag=tid_s

Their screenshot:

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My neice was over today and she was playing with the program and came up with a different use. Virtual Tourism. She was looking up the statue of liberty, the golden gate bridge, the eiffel tower, the great wall of china, sydney orchestra building thingy, etc.

She also tried zooming in on the African prairies trying to catch like a herd of elephants or something. I'm sure that it's possible to find this, just don't know where to look exactly.

I also found my friend's car cause he works nights and always parks his car in a certain spot by his house. I bet other members probably could find their Intrepids.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Damn! Nice find! The area where I live looks so much different (and I'm not just talking about the fact that the images are a few months or years old). I had no idea that the marinas even across the street were as big as they were.

This certainly gives you a different view of the area. I love it!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I used it to look up my house. It marked the house across the street in front of mine.
I would say its pretty good tracking.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Different resolution in different areas. Of course touristy type areas / larger cities have the best res. I live out in the sticks, right before my place it goes fuzzy.

I looked up my work and found that the photo was taken before our building expansion (2003) Oh, you can see it just fine but the driveway and parking lot have since been moved.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I downloaded the software. But I keep getting an error, and the program will not properly work. Any advice?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
the program is pretty outdated though...for one, my oldsmobile is in that picture, plus, i went to look at my work (which was built in late fall 2003 and finished in january 2004) and it was not there.

i looked at my old high school, and the parking lot that was built my senior year was there, so i will assume it was last updated in 2003

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
01redMS said:
the program is pretty outdated though...for one, my oldsmobile is in that picture, plus, i went to look at my work (which was built in late fall 2003 and finished in january 2004) and it was not there.

i looked at my old high school, and the parking lot that was built my senior year was there, so i will assume it was last updated in 2003
The program is brand new, the GIS images however, in some cases, are a few years old.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yep... I talked to a couple people here at work. Appearantly our building has had TWO expansions since that pic was taken.

Cool thing though, there was a jet flying by when it was snapped, the jet looks like its sitting in the parking lot across the street.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I believe you have to buy it to get more real-time pics.

There are no cars in the drive-way so it must be from 12pm-1pm. Usually there's at least 1 at all time, my Intrepid. I concur it's from 03.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
This program is great when you are looking to buy a house.

I am looking at pictures of every house I am interested in... making sure they aren't next to a landfill... a dump... commercial... etc etc. Cool stuff.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
crombie said:
I downloaded the software. But I keep getting an error, and the program will not properly work. Any advice?
How old is your computer? Do you have onboard video? My mom's computer is somewhat older with onboard video which isn't good enough to meet the 16mb 3d acceleration requirement.

The description did note that it may not run on all computers, but I have no idea what other obstacles there may be other than better video hardware.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts