DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was a question on the side skirts. I mentioned I was putting them on my car and you (GORM) said you thought that something should be done to the front and rear to make them worth while.
Well, how's this. Rear is yet to come. First photo shows side skirts on; others were before they were installed. Door pieces will go on over the weekend.

Reactions: crombie

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
OK, where the hell did you get that bumper? :eek: I want one EXACTLY like it, that's killer. You can't even tell what kind of car it is anymore!

.....plus my fogs are kinda useless now with the new headlights.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That looks great, hell i want 1 too!!!! Need details were to get that. I need a new front bumper anyway, mine has a ton of paint chips all over it.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
That looks awesome!
Ross: Have you made IOM yet? ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looks great.
Is that a 300M front bumper?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hmmmm, intresting, but somehitng looks kinda outta place IMO. I hink its the park lamps in he bumper... Nice work though indeed.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First let me now clarefy a few things:

This is the actual car, NOT a photoshop creation.
YBnormyl, and a couple of other members who have been to the house can vouch for the authenticity, albeit I was working on the piece at the time and it wasn't on the car.

Here's the story.
I took a 'Trep front bumper and cut it 4" below the headlight line all the way around.
The lower portion is from a 2003 Special. It too was cut at the lower edge of where the grille goes. The two pieces were then "welded" together with a heat gun to melt the plastics together, with reinforcing pieces, to help strengthen it.
Verticle cuts had to be made in the centre and under each headlight, as well as a horizontal cut under each headlight of the 'Trep part in order to blend the two pieces, as they are of slightly different curvatures. These cuts were again, "welded" back together. Fiberglass filler was used to smooth the joints.
Minor cutting was done to the ends of the inner bumper rebar and battery box to clear the fog lights, as the Special portion is slightly shorter than the 'Trep, but on the 300 sits out farther to clear, where as, I had to have it in a tad closer to mate to the 'Trep wheel opening, thus creating a slight clearance problem.
Once it was all smoothed and properly contoured so that it looked right, I sprayed it with about 10 coats of epoxy/urethane Stone White.
Currently I have left the stock signal lights operational and also have the 300's working as well.
If anyone wants a detailed "how to", I can send one. I don't really think it is overly suitable for our "How to" section as it is not an easy thing to do - definitely not for the feint of heart.

All my stock parts are safely stored so that I can change it all back if I ever want to.

Hopefully I will get the 'Trep rear bumper cover I need to do the back side in a couple of weeks.
Guess I need to change the picture at the bottom now.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
This is awesome Ross!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That is sweet. Sure wished I could figure out that whole plastic welding thing. Sure I tried with a few peices of plastic and just do not have a knack for it. None the less....TFC...you are the man.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts