DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v noticed its been a gas hog latly, never had a car before eat this much gas, the weather is a lot hotter out now could that be why?
any idea's on what i can do, has a new air filer, oils been changes new plugs and wires, not sure what else i can change.

Aslo how hot do these cars run, when im idling it just stays under half on the gage then the fans come on, when driving its just sits at the first line

thanks guys :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
yeah that sounds about the right marks for the temp gauge. Do you have any codes? How old are the oxygen sensors?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no clue i had the car for 4 months so im not sure how old they are, are those exspensive? and where are they LOL

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
presario64 said:
i have no clue i had the car for 4 months so im not sure how old they are, are those exspensive? and where are they LOL
Ok, this is some info on the O2 Sensors, on the 97 you have four of them, up and downstream sensors:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

3.3L ENGINE

See Figures 10 and 11

Fig. 10: The upstream oxygen sensor on the 3.3L threads into the outlet flange of the manifold

Fig. 11: The O2S sensor can be located from under the vehicle

The 3.3L engine uses two heated oxygen sensors, one on each of the exhaust manifolds. The sensors point toward the engine block.

Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.

Disengage the HO2S sensor wiring connector.

Remove the sensor by unscrewing it from the manifold.

To install:

Inspect the threads of the HO2S sensor. Apply an anti-seize compound only if there is none visible on the threads. Be careful not to contaminate the sensor tip with any foreign compounds.

Install the sensor and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

Engage the wiring connector.

Carefully lower the vehicle.

Downstream Sensors

See Figure 14

Fig. 14: The downstream oxygen sensors thread into the outlet pipe at the rear of the catalatic converter

The sensors are located at the outlet ends of the catalytic converter.

Raise and support the vehicle.

Disconnect the wiring harness from the HO2S sensor.

Do not pull directly on the wire going to the sensor, this could damage the wiring.

Remove the sensor using a crow foot wrench such as tool YA8875 or equivalent.

To install:

Install the sensor and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).

Additional anti seize should not be applied to the threads of the sensor unless the old sensor being installed.

Connect the sensor harness.

Lower the vehicle.

What MPG are you getting ? Also simple things to check that will affect MPG, is tire pressure and alignment.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
I've got a '96 3.3L that I work on (my old car - now my daughter's) and she still gets ~23 MPG @ 140k miles. Temps do make a difference but not that much.

It's been asked but I'll ask again, are there any computer codes? It's very easy to check on Mopars:

http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9477

If the EGR system is acting up it often shows a fault code and it can cause bad MPG ...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Want to make sure on the temp. You said it sets at the first line. That sounds to cool which will hurt gas mileage a lot.

On my gauge it runs at the second mark. (like the 8 oclock) If yours is the same there should be a mark right at the 9 oclock position and mine usually runs at the mark right below that which I think would be the second mark. ( the very first being bottom I'm not counting)
Hope that makes since. Any time a engine runs cool it stays in a richer part of the fuel table.

If it is low change the stat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts