DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a code 41 (Generator Field Not Switching Properly - open or shorted condition detected in generator relay circuit) with no MIL or battery light on?

Unhooked battery for 1-2 hours, reconnected and still have it. Battery with engine off is 12.45V. I'll test it tomorrow with engine on, but I figured I should get a MIL with that code.

Probably need an alternator anyway I think it is still original lol

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,433 Posts
Yep, test the alternator. Also check the connector on the back of it, and of course, battery, battery cables and connections.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,862 Posts
Definitely low. Maybe get the alternator tested and check belt tension? Maybe start shopping for a replacement alternator too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boneyard nearby has one for $35. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I was wigging the wires from the alternator and the battery wires while the engine was running and no voltage changes.

With the blower off, it was just above 12V and the belt is new and tight, replaced when I did my valve covers.

Will update tomorrow.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,862 Posts
A fully charged battery will have over 12 volts static in it. You should be well over 13 volts when charging.

Sounds like the alternator is just about dead.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,862 Posts
My little Cigarette lighter USB Charger/Voltage indicator shows 13.7-14.0 volts anytime the car is running in my Special.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember testing the alternator a few months ago and it was charging at 13.2 which I thought was also low so kinda been expecting this.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,862 Posts
w00t!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts