DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research as to why my trep (99 2.7) oil light comes on and idles low sometimes, not always but a few times it slipped into 300 rpms before either stalling or jumping back up to 500. I've been checking the oil everyday and its the same amount, checked for any leaks, I did however discover oil around my pan, and thought I should change the pan gasket. I did a talk with a Dodge service department associate and he told me to check the Idle air control valve, and the EGR valve. Could the idle air control valve trigger the oil light to come on, even at an idle of 500 rpms??? The oil is still clean and in case you guys are wondering, I'm running synthetic oil. I'm just curious because I'm thinking about starting with replacing both valves, even though they both cost. Dodge dealer told me I think it was 140.00 for the egr valve and 120.00 for the idle air control valve.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Either of these could indirectly turn your oil light on. If the engine RPM drops low enough it will triger an oil light since at lower RPM there is less oil pressure. But 500 RPM "In Gear" is pretty normal for intrepids. It is not uncommon to see an intrepid in gear at 500 to 550 RPM. Just curious there is a TSB for oil light flickering, did you have this performed?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the oil sending unit, pcv valve.... I hate to sound stupid but TSB, what does that stand for? I'm a little hip on the trep but not all the way. lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Intrepidman21 said:
I replaced the oil sending unit, pcv valve.... I hate to sound stupid but TSB, what does that stand for? I'm a little hip on the trep but not all the way. lol
TSB = Technical Service Buletin -- They contain instructions from the manufacterer for correcting problems .
If you search "oil light flicker TSB" you should find a good discussion of the problem and details on fixing it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
300 rpm idle sounds like a real issue. The egr is another thing that could affect your idle if its not completely closing. And it can stall out the engine

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
There are a great deal of things that can cuase the low idle problem from a simple carboned up intake to things like the egr valve.
see if the car has any stored codes, other than that, have a trusted technician check it out for you. This sort of thing is very difficult to troubleshoot by remote (internet).
Try a can of intake cleaner and follow the directions if you wish.
The oil flicker? Well, at 300 rpm you will defineatly get a flicker if not a "hard on" (minds out of the gutter now boys!) light. While running normally, I'd say it's the erroneous indication problem.

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem with my Trep. Normally after I get off the expressway or been driving for an extended period of time The oil light comes on and starts to flicker on and off for a few seconds. When this first happened I pulled over and shut the engine off and waited five minutes so all of the oil drops down to the oilpan. I checked the level and it was ok,still today it still comes on but I have bigger problems like oil leaking behind the engine, (rear main seal) which means that the engine is comming out.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
believe it or not, I changed the idle air control valve, cleaned the throttle body out and its fine now. The oil light comes on now but thats because my oil is dirty and im due for an oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts