DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in my mailbox today was a small brown box with the words "Safety Recall Notice" outside and "DaimlerChrysler" as the sender.

Inside are two plastic things that I am supposed to hook on to the trim at the top of the B-pillar (between the front and rear doors). Supposedly this is to improve crash safety.

I just put them on (very easy), but I can't imagine how these little "mini storage bins" are going to improve crash safety. Has anyone else received these or does anyone know how they are supposed to improve anything besides the interior storage capacity of the car? hehe :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have heard about this but have never seen these storage bins. anyway for you to take a pic?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, otto... I'll take a pic when I get home from work. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay, but here is a pic of one of the "mini storage bins" I had to install per the safety recall I mentioned. The other one is on the driver's side B-pillar.

How is this supposed to improve crash safety??

·
Registered
415 Posts
Perhaps to help catch shattered glass that could fall down and cut your head during a crash?? Best idea I can think of. :confused:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
maybe to help hinder the roof from colapsing on a rollover.....i dunno man, looks kinda useless to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
According to something I read, if your head hits the B-pillar in an accident, much ungoodlyment will ensue. These bins are to somewhat cushion that impact. They should have a label that says "Hit Head Here"

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes the most sense to me, MadTxn. I did notice that if I try to tilt my head toward the B-pillar it hits that little storage bin almost immediately. Well, that answers my question. Thanks for your input, guys. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks 00ChryslerIntrepid, man safety or not if they sent those to me no way would I put them on. Looks like crap.

MadTxn - you are correct,thats what they are for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, what design change is there on say a 2002 that you don't see these things on a new car??

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
they put a ton of impact absorption material (foam) between the headliner and the metal roof.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha.. yeah, they do look pretty ugly. I guess I'll leave them in, though, because I don't want to ruin the headliner by pulling them out. The metal clips that slide behind the plastic trim might scratch it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts