DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this issue for about thee months now. :gun6:

My 98 Es was stolen about 5 months ago. I got it back in good shape, punks just joy riding. Anyway they broke the stearing column and whatever, but lately it's been this loud grinding noise from the right front passenger side while braking hard or coming to a complete stop. I did a search on the site and some said that it's the tranny making that noise and others mentioned that it could have been tirerods.

I've been to 3 shops and all of them say that they don't see anything wrong. They say my pads are in good shape, none have mentioned any rotor damage or nothing. I'm at a lost right now :dogpuppy: It makes me not want to drive it cause everytime i'm coming to a stop it sounds like the front part of my car is gonna just drop off.

The only thing is that it only makes the noise when the brake pedal almost goes all the way down and when the brake pedal is firm and as it should be it doesn't make that noise?????

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have any of those shops test drove it and heard that noise?
Take it to a shop that has chassis ears and tell them to find it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
are the pads you have on there cheap? does it happen after a long drive or right away? I had this grinding noise happen to me and I could actually feel it on the brake pedal. I turned my rotors and changed the pads (which looked perfect) and the noise went away. if your rotor is really glazed and you have metallic pads thats what you are probably feeling. have the rotors turned as a start if they are really glazed.

·
Registered
462 Posts
lbis4123 said:
are the pads you have on there cheap? does it happen after a long drive or right away? I had this grinding noise happen to me and I could actually feel it on the brake pedal. I turned my rotors and changed the pads (which looked perfect) and the noise went away. if your rotor is really glazed and you have metallic pads thats what you are probably feeling. have the rotors turned as a start if they are really glazed.
This is a really good idea, I guess I missed the part that says
PHP:
that it only makes the noise when the brake pedal almost goes all the way down

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lbis4123 said:
I'm not sure, i got the pads last summer when I bought the car it had 52,000 miles when i got it, now it has 68,000. I had the front rotors changed at a shell gas station service center(big mistake i think). I also feel it in the brake pedal too. I'm just gonna order some Hawk pads off Tirerack with the Bremo rotors they have on there too. Should I get 4 rotors for front and rear or just 2 front rotors with the 4 new pads???

I really appreciate help :fun_08:

·
Premium Member
16,753 Posts
When the ABS is working and a wheel starts to skid, you get a definite grinding noise and the pedal drops. Is this the ABS system kicking in? Is a wheel sensor bad maybe? Are the tires the same size? Check for equal air pressure in the tires.

·
Registered
982 Posts
dman248 said:
The only thing is that it only makes the noise when the brake pedal almost goes all the way down and when the brake pedal is firm and as it should be it doesn't make that noise?????

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The pedal should not go all the way down and should always be firm.Like peva said you might be feeling the ABS kicking in on that wheel. Have you bled brake lines? could have a little air in the left front which would cause the right front to get more pressure and lock up.The ABS will try to keep the wheel from locking up which pulses the pedal and makes a distinctive growling noise.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
peva said:
When the ABS is working and a wheel starts to skid, you get a definite grinding noise and the pedal drops. Is this the ABS system kicking in? Is a wheel sensor bad maybe? Are the tires the same size? Check for equal air pressure in the tires.
THe tires are the same size 16 but the ratings are different. the fronts are S rated and the rear are Z rated

·
Registered
175 Posts
Um, wheel bearings maybe?

Cheap brake pads also tend to have hard spots which show up whenever and can cause noises like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts