DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got rid of the wifes Grand Am- PICTURES

Well I finally talked her into getting rid of that piece of **** pontiac and to cross into the DC world of things. On friday we picked up a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited. It ran me $7200 with 80k on her.Thing has every option but the nav and I'm already feeling the 4.7 guzzling 13mpg in the city.The only ***** I have about it is WTF is with all time 4WD? Boy I was pissed when I realized I couldnt smoke the balls off the tires like my mother durango can......

At the rate Im moving Ill have some clean ones in a couple days... :smile:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Girl I work with had a new Grand AM about 6 yrs ago, total POS... spent more time in the shop than on the road. Interior fell apart in the 1st month and everything... she's been a jetta owner since...

I didn't mind the look of the Grand Am's until 1999... the latest generation has got to be about the ugliest thing on the road...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The Grand Am's four banger has a very weak head. They start to have stress cracks around the head bolts, after about 65,000 miles. I had one, I ran her till about 125,000 miles. Not to bad with a bunch of cracks in the head. I stoped the coolant from coming out, by coating the whole top of the head with JB Weld.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
IntrepidBus IV said:
Sounds like a good deal! But I thought the 4.7 wasn't available until 2000 models? :dunno:
'99 was the year that generation started.

I hated that car so much its not even funny.Its not like it only had 1 or 2 flaws the whole thing was junk.We owned the car for less then a year and I took a loss of 3k on it. My upstairs neighbor has one she paid 10k for, dealer saw her coming a mile away.

I didnt know about the week heads but that 2.4 makes more noise then the trep and gc together.Mech said it was normal that the timing chain did that...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good choice. Grand Am's are pieces of junk. Lousy motor, cheap looking interior, ugly body cladding everywhere, and that spoiler that looks like a towel rack.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IntrepidBus IV said:
Very true, but I thought they still used the 5.2L in the '99s, at least I know for sure they did in the Daks and Durangos...

I dont know but I found this looking threw allpar-

Buddy Revell pointed out that the new engine is "almost" a Hemi - "the only reason it isn't called a hemi is because the combustion chambers have a wall on one side that makes it look kind of like a flat tire. Other than that everything is in the same arangment. The valve springs are across from each other and the spark plug goes right down the middle."

So close but yet so far.....LOL

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like Grand Prixs a lot more than the Grand Ams. They have a solid following like our trep and the GTPs are stout cars. But I only know people with GPs. Never known anyone with a Grand Am, so maybe you all are right, maybe they have some inherent mechanical problems.

Mike

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont mind the looks of the GP and would love a GTP but as far as maintanance changing the plugs on any 31-34-3800 sucks ass.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Grand Am's, like most 1990's FWD 4cyl GM cars are JUNK. Even with the optional intake gasket head blowing 3100 V6 its still a peice of junk.

Congrats on the Grand Cherokee. Dad has a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 and its been great. I prefer the older body style (1993-1997).

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Matt86 said:
Grand Am's, like most 1990's FWD 4cyl GM cars are JUNK. Even with the optional intake gasket head blowing 3100 V6 its still a peice of junk.

Congrats on the Grand Cherokee. Dad has a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 and its been great. I prefer the older body style (1993-1997).
Yeah, I still prefer the old '93 - '98's too, particularly the '96 to '98's... had a '97 Limited and loved it.

K

·
0 Posts
I had a 2000 Grand Am GT and it was definately a POS. Myn husband told me I shouldn't have boutght it but I did. Everytime something went wrong all he did was shake his head at me............and I know he was thinking.........."dumb girls"............lol :boink:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah I got a friend with a 2000 and I sat in the drivers seat and was immediatly a little disgusted with the car but didnt want to say anything cuz it was her first car and she had dropped alot of money into it. After driving the trep those things interior comfort really blow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts