DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's the story:

I took my car in yesterday night at 6:45 to have a New York Inspection done on my car because i was about 10 days overdue. First the guy gives me a f-cking attitude when i tell him be careful not to scratch my rims and torque my lug nuts by hand, NO impact wrench, and i want them all at 100 ft/lbs.. I had a damn appointment and the guy tells me "We'll try to get to it tonight"... Somehow they lost my appointment papers and needless to say they DID NOT get to my car last night. So i'm at work all day, and i get a message saying they want me to call them back, so i do while im at work, and i get put on hold 3 times for at least 10 mins each, the last time i called i was furious and spoke to the service manager.. He told me my car didn't pass inspection because my inner tierod bushings were loose!!! Asshole!! I did my inner tierod bushings like 2 months ago and they are fine, i know because i checked them over last week to see how they were doing.. Anyways he gives me a quote for the job... $405 dollars!!! What the hell! I never go to mechanics and i wasn't going to make this a first so i requested my car back and a 10 day inspection to fix what was wrong..

So i pull my car in my driveway, jack up each tire, pop the hood, and each of my tierod bolts is screwed out about 1/8"!! They were not like this right before my inspection! I checked them and tightened them right. I have reason to believe those assholes did this on purpose to rip off my ass!!!! They did it to the WRONG PERSON! I have to go back for a re-inspection and they are going to get a piece of my mind.. lol... Anyways im done!!!! I'm pissed!!!

BTW: I went to PEPBOYS for this service!!!!!!!! They just lost a damn good customer!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Damn!!!!!! That is messed up. I watched a thing on 20/20 a few years ago and it made me think. Shady Mech's are everywhere. I got into the habit of marking the defective parts when I have to have it changed..all the way to the oil filter if needed. I do the Infinity mark on everything. When the job is done, I look at it at the shop, and if it wasn't done, I go in and raise hell. The one good thing about here, I know it is ex-pensive, I go to Firestone for everything, the first time I went in there, I wanted the struts changed and the brakes changed just cuz I thought it was needed. The Manager called me and asked me if I really wanted to do the brakes. He told me they looked like they were brand new and that they just needed to be tightened, I went over there and he personally showed me, saving me like 200 plus dollars. That right there told me I had found a great place to take my vehicals. If I was to ever have something like that happen, I would definatly either call the BBB or kick some ass.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The inner tierod bolts have been known to back out (regardless of the tabs) and eventually break if not torqued correctly (75 ft-lbs I think, but I'd have to check to make sure).

Anyway, if you checked them right before hand, well, I'd be pissed too. Sounds like they run a really lousy service bay from what you've described.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i tightened them today to somewhat close to 75 ft/lbs.. I can barely get a regular socket in there let alone a torque wrench.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm glad Michigan doesn't have vehicle inspections. But than I get stuck behind some car in traffic that is emmiting really bad exhaust fumes and I'm chocking over them, than I'm like we need inspections. But that rarely happens so I'm glad Michigan doesn't have vehicle inspections. :D

Shady mechanics are everywhere. That is why I want to do everything myself. Too bad I can't do exhaust work so I'm nervous to bring it to someone to have my Flowmaster put on and stuff.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You just reaffirmed what I thought about Pepboys..........

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I must say that really does suck.. Most large corporations will go out of their way to screw with you. There is not much we can do except take the car to another place ... pass on the bad service by word of mouth (or the internet) and let them kiss your ass. By the way ... Nice first gen you have there! :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I worked at a pepboys and they screwed stuff up ON MY ride needless to say I now only do my own work unless I have to take it to a mech and then it becomes a nightmare being that I hate my local dodge dealer too :mad:

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm transferring my car to an ohio title, does this mean my car has to undergo this type of inspection?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Too bad I can't do exhaust work so I'm nervous to bring it to someone to have my Flowmaster put on and stuff.
Warlord187 why can't you do the job yourself? I've done my own exhaust work before???

I've also been one of those people to do the job myself. I can't stand watching someone working on my car thinking there getting about $55.00 an hour doing something I should be learning how to do anyways.

The only thing on my car that I've had done at a shop was when I needed to replace the torque converter on my 94 3.5, that was a little "over my head"...

Heck, I even have a mechanic that will let me use his snapon scanner to check the ECM/TCM if a need it (he's the one that did my trany).

·
Registered
120 Posts
95Intrepid33 said:

BTW: I went to PEPBOYS for this service!!!!!!!!
That's your problem right there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jesda said:
I refuse to shop at Pep Boys. They fired a bunch of military guys who obviously couldnt come to work, because they were serving the country. Asinine!
I didn't know that. I will not be shopping at pepboys anymore!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Jesda said:
I refuse to shop at Pep Boys. They fired a bunch of military guys who obviously couldnt come to work, because they were serving the country. Asinine!
As well as being asinine, that's also illegal.:mad:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Pep Boys Firing All Military Employees

Netlore Archive: Email rumor alleges that Pep Boys, the national auto parts chain based in Philadelphia, is firing all reservist and National Guard employees called up for active duty in the Iraq war

Description: Email rumor
Circulating since: March 2003
Analysis: See below

Email example contributed by R. Marker-Smith, 26 March 2003:

Pep Boys Auto Parts Stores are firing all employees who are National Guard or Reserves and are being called up for active duty. There has already been federal law suits filed against Pep Boys.

I had to go buy some parts for my truck this weekend and asked the Manager of a Pep Boys here in OKC who happens to be of middle east decent ( his picture and name are at the front of the store) if it was true these people were being fired and he replied it sure was and if he had any working at his store he would fire them too at which point he turned around and walked away. I then dumped my stuff on the counter and walked out. A women in front of me overheard this and she promptly walked out also.

Comments: Of particular interest in the development of this rumor is how the announcement of one lawsuit, filed by a reservist who says Pep Boys fired him because he was called up for naval training, escalated in a matter of days to the blanket claim that Pep Boys is firing all military reservist and National Guard employees called to active duty. The latter is patently false.

According to a company press release, at least 30 current Pep Boys employees nationwide have taken temporary leave from their jobs to fulfill their military obligations in the Iraq war, without incident. "Pep Boys stands by its record of support for its employee servicemen and servicewoman," the press release states.

The lawsuit alleges that Pep Boys terminated Naval reservist Erik Balodis, forcing him into bankruptcy, because his military duties required him to spend too much time away from his job. Lawyers for Pep Boys have responded that Balodis was fired for poor job performance, pure and simple. The truth of the matter will have to be determined in court.

As noted in a recent edition of the National Law Journal, employer treatment of reservist or National Guard employees called to active duty isn't just a matter of patriotism, it's a point of law. The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) forbids any company, large or small, from discriminating against such employees and requires that they be re-employed when their tour of duty is up.

Given the exceptionally patriotic mood of the country just now, how companies are responding to the military call-up and war-related issues has come under intense public scrutiny, yielding no shortage of emotionally-charged fodder for the rumor mill. One email flier enthusiastically applauds Sears — just one of many companies offering reservists benefits that exceed what's required by law — for going above and beyond the call of duty. Another calls for a boycott of Target stores for allegedly turning down a request to support a Vietnam veterans' memorial. Yet another rumor targeting various businesses around the country by name claims that uniformed military personnel have been openly spurned or mistreated by workers in restaurants. In every case where they've been investigated, those allegations have proven to be false.

Sociologists call these "wedge-driving rumors" and say they're especially common in wartime, when an "us against them" mentality prevails. Sowing discord in the name of unity, they betray an ironic, darker side to patriotic fervor.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MICKEY88 said:
People should check for facts before helping to spread rumors..
Agreed, but i still hate Pep Boys... :mad: Well i got my money back on the inspection because i basically would NOT leave them alone and called the district headquarters and complained.. I went to a local shop my boss knows the owner of, and my car passed, no problems at all.. Hmm..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts