DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured ou the coolant in my car has been Dexcool this whole time. I have been searching and found out that the Dexcool is made differently and whatnot and should not be in our engines. I want to replace it with that gold/yellow G-05 or something like that. My question is, when I flush the system, do I have to take the thermostat out and reinstall the thermostat housing to fully flush the system out, and then install a new thermostat to just be on the safe side? Is there a way to get all the old crap out easier?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I think we are down to dealer and Napa for sources for the coolant. NAPA has the G-05 for around $13 a gallon.
It is clear in color. The Mopar branded version is really the same liquid but with some orange-ish dye or whatnot added to change the color.

I am unsure if the dexcool has messed up your thermostat or not. If you think it has been operating normally then leave it in there until you need to do the waterpump/timing belt maintenance.

If you could remove all(95+%) of the dexcool by taking out the t-stat then I would go that route. That way it would be a one time deal. But with all the coolant in the lines and heater core I think you would need to empty the sytem again.

I think you could do a sufficient flush without removing the thermostat. I would get the engine to operating temp so T-stat is open, then drain the radiator by its drain valve. Then using LIM side of the upper rad hose fill the radiator then the coolant bottle with your flushing fluid (distilled water?). Start it again and let it mix it around a bit then drain it again. repeat this until you think you have gotten most of the dexcool out. Most of the time will be spent watching the temp gauge or water drain, versus taking all the stuff out of the way to remove the T-stat

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok thanks that helps a lot. You just need one gallon of full strength (not premixed) to fill the system back up? And is that the correct way to flush the system. If I don't take the thermostat out, there will still be Dexcool left in it right?

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I would drain the rad out by the petcock, refill the system with distilled water, run the car for a short time just so it gets into the block. Repeat that enough times so that when you drain it it's just water coming out when you drain it. Refill with a 50/50 mix of G05 and distilled water. I get my G05 at CarQuest for 15$ after taxes. When I went to another autoparts store they wanted to sell me Dexcool for my Chrysler, I wasn't very impressed.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Oh ok thanks that helps a lot. You just need one gallon of full strength (not premixed) to fill the system back up? And is that the correct way to flush the system. If I don't take the thermostat out, there will still be Dexcool left in it right?

You just need one gallon of full strength (not premixed) to fill the system back up?
- I only used a gallon when I did mine. Cooling capacity is 9.4qts or 2.35 gallons. So for perfect 50/50 you would need 1.17 gallons. I think you can get by with just the gallon.

And is that the correct way to flush the system.

- Paintballdude agrees that draining what is in the radiator and and refilling with straight distilled water is the way to go. I forget how much I got out by using the drain valve on the radiator. Assuming you get half out and refill with dist water your dexcool % will be 25% max, fill and drain half out again and you should be 12.5% dexcool max and so on. If you happen to get more than 1 gallon out per draining, then the percentage will drop quicker.

If I don't take the thermostat out, there will still be Dexcool left in it right?

- there will be dexcool in even if you do take the tstat out. i.e. in the cooling lines and heater core in the dash. That is why I say to get the car up to operating temp. That will open the t-stat and allow more coolant to drain out when you drain the radiator. Getting at the thermostat is a pain, so I would avoid messing with it

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Like Scott said, the thermostat in these cars(3.5's at least) are a HORRIBLE thing to change. But, what makes you think it's Dexcool? The color? Because the stock fill on these cars is an orange/ red mixture of Mopar coolant.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Like Scott said, the thermostat in these cars(3.5's at least) are a HORRIBLE thing to change. But, what makes you think it's Dexcool? The color? Because the stock fill on these cars is an orange/ red mixture of Mopar coolant.
he may very well not have dexcool. i know at atleast 2 of the independant shops i have worked at we always had a drum of red/orange. was not dexcool or g05. just a red universal coolant substitute we used for cars that had dexcool/g05

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Multiple mechanics said it was Dexcool so when I flushed it once already, I refilled it with Dexcool because I didn't know it shouldn't be in there.
hard to believe they could tell the difference between any other red coolant. when you bought dexcool did you not happen to notice the big GM logo on the front?

edit: well not all of them do. but usually the prestone bottles have a big GM logo on them

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I went through the same thing. Early in the car's life a collision shop that replaced that rad was a GM shop, and naturally used dexcool.

BTW, it shouldn't be in any engine. If I bought a GM I would immediately switch it out.

Steph is right, drain, fill with distilled water, run at operating temp, repeat. Don't put new stuff in until what you're draining is all clear and you'll be safe.

The "proper" way is a flush machine, but that requires paying someone to do it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help!
hard to believe they could tell the difference between any other red coolant. when you bought dexcool did you not happen to notice the big GM logo on the front?

edit: well not all of them do. but usually the prestone bottles have a big GM logo on them
I know all the mechanics personally so I just believed them. Maybe it wasn’t Dexcool to begin with but I screwed up and put it in. I didn’t see any noticeable signage of GM. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention.
Steph is right, drain, fill with distilled water, run at operating temp, repeat. Don't put new stuff in until what you're draining is all clear and you'll be safe.
If someone has done it this way, how many times. I know SC.Intrepid was explaining that but if someone has done it before it would be great to know how many times it was filled and drained.

Do you actually drive the car around for like 10 minutes at operating temp or just let it sit running in the driveway?

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
It'll heat up faster when you drive it. I wouldn't do any less than 3 times. The more the better. Also keep in mind that when you fill it up with the G05 coolant you will still have water left in the system so mix accordingly.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
If someone has done it this way, how many times. I know SC.Intrepid was explaining that but if someone has done it before it would be great to know how many times it was filled and drained. Do you actually drive the car around for like 10 minutes at operating temp or just let it sit running in the driveway?
Well for me the stuff left in the system was the factory G05 coolant. So when I stopped draining/refilling, it was still G05 in there, not dexcool. Since a gallon of distilled water is around $1, I would flush with 2 or 3 gallons.

It'll heat up faster when you drive it. I wouldn't do any less than 3 times. The more the better. Also keep in mind that when you fill it up with the G05 coolant you will still have water left in the system so mix accordingly.
I think he plans to just use one gallon of G05( = 42/58 mix). So assuming he flushes really well, it's just add the G05 and then top off with distilled water.

Keep in mind that your drain valve has an oring that may tear. It happens more often then not when people use the valve to drain. new valve with oring is <$10 at the dealer, but a new oring should be even cheaper. We haven't been able to pin down the perfect match to the factory o-ring yet I don't think.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Well for me the stuff left in the system was the factory G05 coolant. So when I stopped draining/refilling, it was still G05 in there, not dexcool. Since a gallon of distilled water is around $1, I would flush with 2 or 3 gallons.

I think he plans to just use one gallon of G05( = 42/58 mix). So assuming he flushes really well, it's just add the G05 and then top off with distilled water.

Keep in mind that your drain valve has an oring that may tear. It happens more often then not when people use the valve to drain. new valve with oring is <$10 at the dealer, but a new oring should be even cheaper. We haven't been able to pin down the perfect match to the factory o-ring yet I don't think.
The entire new draincock at advance auto was less than 3 bucks, so I just went that route. I actually have the old draincock and a big O ring kit (both a metric and us kit) that I could play with to figure out the size at some point.

I didn't drive the car around, just did it all in the driveway. I used a freeze point tester to get the mixture where I wanted it. Its a really cheap and easy to use tool and you don't have to guess on the mixture or how much water is sitting in the system.

I honestly don't remember how many times it took me draining and refilling, probably 4. It was a while ago. Just go until its clear though, thats what matters.

·
Premium Member
16,702 Posts
I think we are down to dealer and Napa for sources for the coolant...
Also Ford dealers. They call it "Premium Gold" - be sure it is that because Ford dealers stock a variety of different antifreeze types. It is yellow in color.

...So assuming he flushes really well, it's just add the G05 and then top off with distilled water...
Exactly. You can't tell how much is left in the system after you drain, regardless of where and how you drain it. So assuming that what is left after thoroughly flushing (with distilled water) is almost all water, then putting in half the system capacity (4.7 qts.) of undiluted antifreeze,and then finishing up with distilled water to the proper level (including the final topping off after the final bleeding) is *the* right way to do it.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
you could always pop of the lower hose and let it all drain for a while

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Can you take the lower radiator hose off, put a garden hose in the coolant tank, run the engine and the water? Or wouldn't that work?
probably, but would recomend doing that with the top hose if anything though. gravity pushes water down. also definatly gotta figure out what way the coolant flows so you dont push the water in the wrong way. i would ask someone whos done that on 1 of these cars first

to bad you dont have a small block 350 chevy engine in there! lol, they are nice and easy to flush. when i put a radiator and water pump in my uncles i was able to just remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and just flush the coolant out and let all the old coolant come out were the water pump bolts up. nice and easy to flush

1 - 20 of 42 Posts