DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-My friend was telling me about a trick to run around the governor. He said if your pedal is slammed all the way to the floor, your governor will kick in. But if you have your pedal slightly raised from the floor, your car will keep going to its maximum limit. Is this at all true? I wouldn't try it because I only have S-Rated tires (112mph) but I was just wondering.

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

Reactions: BCintrepid

·
Registered
210 Posts
:bsflag:

I tried it on my way to Tri-Cities. it doesnt work...

·
Registered
627 Posts
it kicks in any time the rpms go above a certain limit ,so in order for you to go above the top speed in our cars you would have to increase the rpms ,hence the limiter you cant!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-Ahh, I see. I was just wondering if my friends had any knowledge to him at all. I guess I should tell him to pack up and go to the mental institute before they catch him (they always like it better when you turn yourself in).

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
54 Posts
when you say it kicks in based on RPMs that doesn't make sense do you mean only in 4th gear because it alows me to rn up to 6500 rpm's...well about and then governer kicks in at like 4000 in 4th which is approx 110 mph's

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The only thing i know you can do is. Unplug the speed sensor. But the motor will run very rough and want to die below 1,000 rpms. I tried this on a 2000 3.9 V-6 in a club cab Dakota. I had changed the rear gears to 4.10's (Plus host of after market mods) and my top speed was 97 mph. After i unpluged the speed sensor it went over 125 mph.

·
Registered
54 Posts
where would the speed sensor be located on a 1997 dodge intrepid sport??

does this or does it have the possiblity mess up your car if you even try it once???

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I never tried it but I would imagine at the very least disconnecting the output speed sensor would screw up your shift points and render your cruise control useless. Will it ruin the trans or not??? very expensive risk to take. my car came with S rated tires and the limiter kicks in at 112mph. The tires I have on it now are H rated (130mph) and I never had any desire to mess with getting around the speed limiter. Hell the damn cops kicked in when I was only doing 86 mph. Yes the mighty 3.3 feels like it can go much faster than 112. how much faster?? nobody knows.

·
Registered
627 Posts
1997 trep31 said:
when you say it kicks in based on RPMs that doesn't make sense do you mean only in 4th gear because it alows me to rn up to 6500 rpm's...well about and then governer kicks in at like 4000 in 4th which is approx 110 mph's
yes im saying its more of a rev limiter than a governerit is a cpu it serves more than one purpose rpm's and speed,it dosent matter what gear your im it will only let the engine rev so high and yes it might be different in every gear,even in N or park if you step on the gas WOT it will go up and down,trust me there is no way for us to bypass it ! it is a cpu controled rev limiter unless you are a cpu engineer and could re program the cars cpu you are'nt going to bypass it ! im pretty sure the dealer cant even reprogram it !

·
Registered
54 Posts
noooo so i guess its hopeless haha
thanks for the info

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...It's okay, I know CPU! ...lol

-BaTmAn

·
Banned
292 Posts
Why the hell is it so hard to modify things on cars...When I had my 1996 Chevy Silverado it's stock limiter was 97MPH. My girlfreinds dad has a Hypertech programmer and we raised that up to like 150, changed the shift points and made them alot harder. After that my little 4.3 would do 130 easy. With every car i've owned it seems to be damn near impossible to change anything in the computers, espesially speed limiters. Except my Dodge Avenger, it didnt have a limiter. It would just top out at 136, heh.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
it kicks in any time the rpms go above a certain limit ,so in order for you to go above the top speed in our cars you would have to increase the rpms ,hence the limiter you cant!

its not bassed on RPM's its based on speed, thats why its a speed limiter :p there is a rev limtier also but that is not related to speed. Unless they program the speed limiters for diff cars based on what rpm that would be at a cetain speed, but then for the people that have gears that would through that off, so i think its just speed. You can try bypassing teh VSS wire, i have done that on other cars, my lebaron for one, and it worked, idunno on a trep though

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Jesus christ.. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT REMOVE THE SPEED SENSOR until you know for a fact what your tire rating is.. I can just see somebody on here with S rated tires trying to do 150... S rated means over 112mph your tire runs HIGH risk of EXPLODING, and at that speed, it means your DEAD. Seriously. Blown tire at 100+ means DEATH..

Thanks, and have a good night,

-Brandon

·
Registered
95 Posts
...As far as the first post, UPS trucks had a throttle limiter that was literally a puch button behind the pedal on the floor, almost certain, it was years ago and i was washing the trucks, talked to an employee there, took a look... i believe there was one there kept them from cranking them too hard

1 - 20 of 33 Posts