DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with these new GPS units that stick on the windshield? I see drivers commuting with them alot now. It looks ridiculous. So now people need to look at a GPS to find thier way home now?...lol. What some people will do to try to impress others. :rollgrin:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Sometimes my GPS is in the cradle while I drive so that it can charge the battery, much easier then remembering to charge it at home

Also it's nice to to see my actual speed as calcualted by the GPS which is far more accurate then the cars speedometer

·
Registered
175 Posts
JoeKD said:
Sometimes my GPS is in the cradle while I drive so that it can charge the battery, much easier then remembering to charge it at home
and then you can use it at home to finde the bathroom and your way back to the kitchen. :frenzy:

Now let's speak with the truth it is a show-off toy. The bigger and expensive the better.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
I got one for christmas from my parents last year. I use to drive a lot out of town for various business trips, when I work my summer job as a regional manager for my owner's 6 McDoanld's. I use to get lost a lot without GPS but, now with it, I never hesitate to go any where new. I hardly use it around streets I know, Right now it sits in my glovebox as I am back in school.

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
JoeKD said:

Also it's nice to to see my actual speed as calcualted by the GPS which is far more accurate then the cars speedometer
How is it more accurate, because it is a digital readout? You need more than the three or four sattelites a regular GPS unit receives to calculate precise measurements and this includes your actual speed. It may not be by much but I would trust your speedometer, if it is calibrated, over a basic GPS receiver.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
murquiza said:
Now let's speak with the truth it is a show-off toy. The bigger and expensive the better.
You that must be it, I sold my RB1 and bought a pocketpc/GPS nav system so it would be easier to show off :rolleyes:

The RB1 was good for showing off to passengers but I needed some way to make sure all other drivers knew mine was bigger then theirs and all that

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
popimp said:
How is it more accurate, because it is a digital readout? You need more than the three or four sattelites a regular GPS unit receives to calculate precise measurements and this includes your actual speed. It may not be by much but I would trust your speedometer, if it is calibrated, over a basic GPS receiver.
My Garmin has been tested to 0.1 mph accuracy which translates to 0.05 metres/sec (0.0447 m/sec to be exact) Do you really think any major car mfg calibrates it's speedos to that same degree of accuracy?

Look in all the car magazines (motortrend, autoweek, etc) and you will notice they are going with satellite GPS type testing systems for accuracy as well

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As some of you may know, I'm also interested in a Navigation unit, probably getting one this spring. I think a lot of it is novelty, like the new LCD tvs and whatnot, but I for one know for a fact I would feel a LOT more comfortable traveling if I have something actually showing me where i was and where I need to be and how to get there. Might even force me to travel out of state (WOW!) on my next vacation.

PS. Oh yeah... also to show it off!

Josiah

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yup, having a piece of electronic equipment that ensures that you'll be able to get somewhere without needing directions is soo useless. I mean seriosuly, of all the things people put on their cars, this is what you come up with for something that's just for show and not useful?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
JoeKD said:
My Garmin has been tested to 0.1 mph accuracy which translates to 0.05 metres/sec (0.0447 m/sec to be exact) Do you really think any major car mfg calibrates it's speedos to that same degree of accuracy?

Look in all the car magazines (motortrend, autoweek, etc) and you will notice they are going with satellite GPS type testing systems for accuracy as well
Not trying to be argumentative, but the latest tests I've seen on Garmins and other consumer type of GPS's were only accurate up to 1-3 meters consistently when they are stationary, meaning, not even when they are moving.

I highly doubt that Motor Trend uses a Garmin GPS system for their testing. I'm sure they use some very high end unit that uses technology that allows it to be about 1 cm off like Differential GPS.

Now I'm saying I'm not trying to be argumentative because at a distance of 1000 ft, if the readings were off by even 3 meters on both ends, meaning true distance traveled was 1000 ft but the GPS reads 1020 ft traveled, that's only a difference of 2% which means that at 60 mph, 2% is only slightly more than 1 mph off at the max.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have two units, one being the RB-1 and an Alpine unit. I personally like them. When going to a different city, you can drive like you lived there, your whole life. Heck I even use mine when yard selling, you can easly see which is the easiest way there and back to a main street. Got an address to a place, put it in and see it's exact location.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Meh GPS systems. I find it more fun to stare at a map and get into an argument with the loved one about where the hell you're going. Usually that leads to make-up action afterwards.....or a trip to the couch. Maybe I'm just old school still.....

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
We are getting off track, his post was never questioning the necessity of a GPS, he is asking why people would use them during their daily commute

My guess to that is most people set them up, plug them in and then just leave them there

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
there kinda neat,, i guess,, my father has one in his bonneville,, its more fun than his polka music..

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmmmm, my RB1 is GREAT (whenever I'm in doubt of where I am, I turn it on and put in my home address).......but now that I'm driving the Civic, I've got lost a few times.......and it really sucks :( I want my RB1 in my Civic :(

I use it on average about once a week or so.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I've tried my Father's Garmin and find it very useful. Espcecially when driving without a navigator in a new area. It gives you the confindence to leave your intended route and buy fuel, shop or buy gas, etc.

The original post of GPS for a daily commute. Yes, gimmick and only for entertainment purposes. I'm guilty of it too. Even used it to get to work a few times. It was interesting to note the speedometer error in different vehicles.

My Father's 00 LeSabre. At 120, GPS dislplays 119. Very accurate.
Our very old mechanical speedometer, cable driven 1965 Belvedere. At 60mph, 59mph displayed on GPS. Odd thing is, we have 205 70 14's radial tires, the original size is not even metric, it calls something like a 7.00X14.
Funniest thing is my truck. With a rear differential out of an older truck. 3.55. Speedometer pinion gear from a 1992 B1500 van, transmission from a 94 Ram and tires are nothing close to original 275 60 15. It's dead on. At 100, it's 100. At 130, it's 130km/hr.
Sadly I must say I'm dissapointed in the LHS. It's speedometer is bragging at 120km/hr when atually it's only going 114km/hr according to GPS. I'm on original GoodYear GA's 225 60 16's. They are down to the wear bar, not to sure how much error that causes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It could still be very accurate. La Sabre display of 119 could have been 119.000 to 119.999, the same goes with. Most round down, to the nearest mile. Another factor is the tires as well as size, the amout of wear. A 1/2" diameter differance is possible frome the same tire (as the tread wears down) so some varance is expected. The same tire during it's life can have a differance of .4 of a mile.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personaly i only use my gps system "Sony nvu-70" when im traveling out of town on a road trip or find myself looking for an address, Otherwise i dont pimp it on a normal basis.. and it just chills in the glovebox..

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I was talking about silly people that use them in thier daily commute, not people that use them for what they are intended for...traveling. Me....I'm old school.... I use a map when I travel. Always works for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts