DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really think this idiot sophomore chickened out at 90. Anyways, hes on my ass on this back road coming back from school. He's jamming out to Ludacris, car loaded with friends. I figured he was going to try and pass me, so I turned off the A/C and left the car in OD. I slowed down to 65 (its a 55 zone), and he tries to pass. I floored it and we were right along each other till about 75, and I started edging ahead of him and he got about 2 links behind me at 90 and then he backed way off when I hit 95. Then I slowed down because there was a car in front of me and a turn up ahead.

Skilled ones like LHSer, is the Grand Am GT faster than our 3.5L LH series of cars?? I would THINK it is. I think this kid chickened out, but it was in front of all his thugged out friends LOL!! :D It was worth it.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I drive one every day when the little lady gets off work. I'm not that impressed with it (except that it is rock solid and handles great). You can tell the engine wants to go, but her's is an automatic..that trannie robs any power that it might have. Give it a 5 speed and I can see some good numbers.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

3.4L V6
[email protected]
[email protected]
Curb weight 3099 (two door model)

lb:hp = 17.71:1
lb:ft/lb = 15.12:1

1993 Dodge Intrepid ES

3.4L V6
[email protected]
221lb/[email protected]
Curb weight 3524

lb:hp = 16.47:1
ft/lb:lb = 15.96:1

Well, now this is a conundrum. By analyzing the numbers one would come to the conclusion that stock for stock, a Grand Am GT would have a slight advantage over your car, but it would still be a driver's race.

Since a thousand other factors, not raw data alone, contribute to the success or loss in a race, I would say given the facts you state, (car loaded with people) the GT would definatley go down. (Was it a new GT or an older one?)

Now, beware of hime if you catch him alone. If he knows how to drive, he might surprise you. Especially since you have been having problems with your 'trep and it most likely isn't putting out full power.

But good kill. :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Good kill Starscream. I raced one 2 days ago a blue one with 3.1 V-6. A very easy kill for a R/T. I had her by 3 car lengths by 40mph and then just pulled away to 95mph. Dam i like this cold air in Minn.

·
Registered
560 Posts
my experience had shown that a straight drag with a grand am GT, my ('97) was quicker,...although, that grand prix GTP...whole other bird altogether. i've heard about those suckers pulling high 14's bone-stock with a larger dia-spindle for the supercharger.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
excuse me if i'm wrong, but it seems that the intrepid would have the advantage on the grand am GT both in hp/lb and lb-ft/lb ratios. they're very close and it would be a driver's race, but the numbers seem to say the intrepid would win.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats why I was so surprised that I did win, because my vacuum tubes are just taped together and the car shakes at lower RPM's. I really need new ones, but I do have 6 new injectors. It was a newer Grand AM GT, I'd say 98 or 99.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I don't think he knows how to drive, by the looks of this kid and his friends, just maybe turned 16. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yeah but if you divide the weight by the hp you get a weight of pounds for each horsepower. the same goes for lb-ft of torque. if you do the math, as LHSer did and i also did just to confirm, the intrepid has fewer pounds per 1 horsepower and also fewer pounds for each lb-ft of torque. you could have a 4500 pound car but its engine makes 700hp it's still gonna smoke you even though it weighs more.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
you could have a 4500 pound car but its engine makes 700hp it's still gonna smoke you even though it weighs more.
Viper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts