DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a baby coming were going to need alittle more room.... So I'm going to keep the intrepid and were thinking about getting a 2001 and up grand caravan... i know it's not an intrepid but a few member here do have them and i'd like to know what you think about them... the 3.3L engine vs the 3.8L engine........ any known issues with these vans/engine?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Scarface said:
You could do that romeo, but how many SUVs out there get more than 15 gallons to the mile?
Wow, I knew they were gas hogs, but that's bad. I'd have a $1200 daily commute!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
01Intrepid said:
With a baby coming were going to need alittle more room.... So I'm going to keep the intrepid and were thinking about getting a 2001 and up grand caravan... i know it's not an intrepid but a few member here do have them and i'd like to know what you think about them... the 3.3L engine vs the 3.8L engine........ any known issues with these vans/engine?
My Dad has an '01 T&C he bought new (3.8L)... great van... he recently had some TCM problems, but that's about it. I really like the '01+'s myself.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Power Hatch issues are known to exist, especially early models. If your lucky to find an 01 ES version it'll have auto-stick. Decontenting seemed to have happened around 2003 ish, then 2005 and up has stow-n-go. I'd say just look for a 3.8 version, the 3.3 is too weighed down on the "Grand" models.....Or just wait until 08 and snap up the 6 speed auto 4.0 version :). If anything you could look into a Pacifica, they're safe, 3.5 power, AWD available, and are nice driving vehicles.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
Power Hatch issues are known to exist, especially early models. If your lucky to find an 01 ES version it'll have auto-stick. Decontenting seemed to have happened around 2003 ish, then 2005 and up has stow-n-go. I'd say just look for a 3.8 version, the 3.3 is too weighed down on the "Grand" models.....Or just wait until 08 and snap up the 6 speed auto 4.0 version :). If anything you could look into a Pacifica, they're safe, 3.5 power, AWD available, and are nice driving vehicles.

The Pac's are damn nice rides, and look sexy as ****, but there are a few problems that exist with them.

This and a few other threads on the Chrysler forum will explain what they are.

http://www.chryslerforum.com/m_2060/tm.htm

For it being a sexy vehicle, it does have a very ugly side.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
We've owned dodge minivans since 87.. they are very reliable, we currently have a 98 with 197k on it and still going strong.. the main issue we always seem to have with them is the a/c. Once it gets busted, its very expensive to repair.

Also the new van's with the stow and go system put the exhaust very close to the edge of the van and has been known to cause problems with body molding and paint.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
grand caravan is like a foot longer,, and has a few more toys

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
lmao, put your money where your GFs mouth is...lol, I have a regular caravan and I think its great... just wish it had power options! but oh well

EDIT: I should have quoted you before replying...lol

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
r0meo021 said:
lmao, put your money where your GFs mouth is...lol, I have a regular caravan and I think its great... just wish it had power options! but oh well

EDIT: I should have quoted you before replying...lol
LOL, and I just edited my post in fear that you'd get jacked, glad you're a good sport and have fun here...

you still driving the Intrepid daily?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a 96 Grand Caravan and Currently have a 03 Town & Country Limited both with the 3.8 liters engine. They are great rides and very comfortable with lots of space for kids and cargo.

The fuel economy is not a good point with these cars, my wife average is 18.5-19 MPG in a city/highway mix.

I don't have the stow and go seats, when I got the 03 there was an 05 that had them but they looked very weak an a possible source of noises later.

This is the list of problems I've had:

96 Grand Caravan
Transmission: It died and thanks to a bad shop it took me an year and 2500 to have it acceptable. The first rebuild was a permanent leak and during that year I took it every other week to the shop and they were not able to fix it never. Finally they said they had to rebuild it and I had to pay just for the parts, instead of suing them and go to a different shop I accepted. The problems kept appearing for 6 more months until I said them tomorrow I'm seeing my lawyer. The car was fixed the same day.
Fuel pump: Had to be replaced, the pump was working but the plastic had a crack and the fuel was leaking.
Window: had to replace the passenger side regulator.
Radio: It stopped working and had to be replaced.
Water pump: It broke spilling all the coolant and had to be replaced.
Water leak: Rain water as leaking inside the passenger side, even though there were no obstructions in the drains. Nobody was able to fix this and it went by itself.
Paint: The clear coat in the roof failed, the rest of the car was pristine though.
A/C: It had the evaporator got damaged and The fix was 50% of the vehicle value I decided to sell it.

03 Town and Country;
A/C: It was leaking inside the passenger compartment. The dash has to be removed to fix it. Apparently the plastic bended clogging the drain. The problem reappeared and the Mechanic said that this time it was the filter. He said he removed the filter because most of those minivan doesn't have one.
Window: had to replace the passenger side regulator.

Conclusion:
I love the vehicle line and interior. I have had too many problems with them though, and I'm not sure if I'll ever buy one again. Except for the transmission they never let me down. If I have to change something, probably I would have kept the 96, since I had to spend the same money that the AC repair would cost me to fix the drainage problem.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
IntrepidBus IV said:
LOL, and I just edited my post in fear that you'd get jacked, glad you're a good sport and have fun here...

you still driving the Intrepid daily?
I have a company car now, but I still drive the intrepid ALOT

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Congrats

01Intrepid said:
With a baby coming were going to need alittle more room....
Forget all the Carvan talk when did all this come about? Congrats so you know that you still need to come down for a visit so the ladies can meet right?

BTW diapers are going to put a hurting on your modding....LOL

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Diapers should be on WIC!!!! My god, you can feed a baby for a week for the cost of a days worth of diapers! I think you should name the baby Romeo Keith... lol and give it the nickname of "modblocker"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts