DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i went to the junkyard today and i found a jeep grand cherokee with the steering wheel controls, i pulled out just the buttons and the harness. they look the same as the ones from the 2001+ intrepids and 300m's. the thing i'm wondering is if these would work if i got a proper clockspring and just cust some holes in the back of my steering wheel and put these in. I've read a bunch of threads about this and i'm also wondering, can i wire the radio controls straight to the input on the back of the radio or do i need to run them to the bcm first, and then connect the pci bus wire to the back fo the radio? and if i do need to run to the pcm, will my 2000 ES bcm work with steering controls?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
They should work but you do need to go to the BCM, it is what deciphers the button "signals" and send the requests to the radio via the PCI bus.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
I thought that steering wheel controls would work only in 2001 or newer... :sheep:

That too is true, never noticed the car was a 2000, just the reference to the 2001 in the question, my mistake.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i was able to get a 2001+ bcm just to control the steering wheel controls? like as a secondary bcm? I believe someone was selling a set-up like that a lilttle while ago that included the steering wheel controls and a bcm to control it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
spydermanES said:
what if i was able to get a 2001+ bcm just to control the steering wheel controls? like as a secondary bcm? I believe someone was selling a set-up like that a lilttle while ago that included the steering wheel controls and a bcm to control it.
They're different !!!!! In 2001+ the BCM has the TCM integrated whereas the 2000 and earlier have them as separate units !!!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TERMINATOR101CA said:
They're different !!!!! In 2001+ the BCM has the TCM integrated whereas the 2000 and earlier have them as separate units !!!!
i know the bcm is different, i don't want to replace my bcm, i want to add a secondary one with only power, ground and radio controls connected, and run a separate pci bus to my radio

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Ask Gorm, that was what he did a while ago, and I think it was him that had it for sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts