DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling a Matt here. I have officially labeled my car as a piece of ****. Lol, everything that can go wrong with it does. The damn headlights keep falling out cause both of the brackets are broken, my a/c is broken, can't get the condenser out cause the bolts are stuck, can't even get the belt to go on there cause I can't get the other pulleys off to get it on there. The front end suspension is ****ed. My brakes are going to hell. Everything shakes when I brake. A lot of stuff only work half the time. And it all pisses me off because I have no money what-so-ever to fix any of it cause I'm only 18 and I'm starting college so I have no money anyway. Ugh I hate this car. Lol.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Lol, use Crazy Glue for the headlight brackets, new cheap rotors for the wheel shake during braking. A couple of cheap fixes. And what's up with the A/C ?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Welcome to my world. Bend over and open your wallet.

My headlight brackets and head lights are both broken, dispite them being only two years old. I tried to fix them with JB weld, no luck. I fixed one with zip ties, but for the other one, I'm going to use plastic weld.

My AC blows ice cold :) (but for how long? the compressor is loud and you can hear it humming)

My Car has all new belts

My front suspension is ****ed too. one inner tie rod bushing split today and the power steering went to hell.

My brakes are great, becasue they are new.

I have barely any money, and I sold my only reliable car, my 1994 Sable GS to fix my dodge.

Am I mad at the car: Yes
Am I going to keep dumping money in to the car: Yes
Why?

Because I'm an idiot

·
Registered
531 Posts
spaz_boy31 said:
I am pulling a Matt here. I have officially labeled my car as a piece of ****. Lol, everything that can go wrong with it does. The damn headlights keep falling out cause both of the brackets are broken, my a/c is broken, can't get the condenser out cause the bolts are stuck, can't even get the belt to go on there cause I can't get the other pulleys off to get it on there. The front end suspension is ****ed. My brakes are going to hell. Everything shakes when I brake. A lot of stuff only work half the time. And it all pisses me off because I have no money what-so-ever to fix any of it cause I'm only 18 and I'm starting college so I have no money anyway. Ugh I hate this car. Lol.
In my '96, I had to replace one of my headlight housings because it broke; well there is a rear part and a front part - I replaced one rear part, and both front parts to get rid of the yellow dull lenses. My AC is broke due to the evaporator failure costing big $$$ to fix. I've replaced the front rotors (new ones are dirt cheap), the starter, not much else. The front end makes a 'clunk' when you work the steering when it's cold out. Sure, I've had problems with it. My mom has had more with her Olds 88 and believe me she babies her car.

Even so, my '96 is one of the best cars (probably THE best) I've owned. It's never left me stranded. At 10 years old it still is basically presentable, unrusted, and drives as nice at 90 mph as it does at 45. It handles and rides well, it doesn't rattle or squeak or shimmy or leak. I would get in this car and drive it cross country without worrying about it (hoping I didn't need AC along the way) because it is still reliable and comfortable.

Sure it's got problems, and has had problems, but I intend to keep it at least another year to use as my winter car, and I won't mind driving it one bit. The idea of selling it off now, having bought a 2nd Gen, just didn't make me happy. I'm not ready to let her go yet. I don't often feel an emotional attachment to a vehicle but this '96, just maybe a little bit.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've replaced so many things on my car I dont have much of anything that needs replaced anymore.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt86 said:
Am I mad at the car: Yes
Am I going to keep dumping money in to the car: Yes
Why?

Because I'm an idiot

Very true, thats me too lol

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I fixed my headlights today. I used Plastic weld. Worked great!

I also put in one of my leather seats. It feels weird, it's going to take some getting used to. I kinda like the fuzzy cloth a bit better, but the adjustible lumbar support on the seat is nice, since I got a bad back. I'll put the pass side in tomorow.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
there are people in countrys that dont know what a car is consider yourself blessed

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
well, I'll have to pull the drivers seat out, again. I dont like those holes on the side where the power controls were (I used my manual tracks). Good thing the ass parts of the seats will swap out, the pass side is in mint shape too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Matt86 said:
I fixed my headlights today. I used Plastic weld. Worked great!
I used zip strips to try to fix my broken headlight mount on my '96 but it didn't work very well. The headlight kept jiggling and people driving ahead of me thought I was playing with the high beams and it annoyed the s**t out of them. Finally I just bough the replacement stuff on Ebay. One nice thing was replacing the headlight housings and getting rid of those rotten yellowed lenses; the car looks a lot fresher with shiny clear ones again, even though the 1st gen headlights are pretty crappy.

2nd gen headlights are a 1000% improvement!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i dont know what the headlight brackets are made of but would plastic weld work??? ie not the glue, its a tool... like a hot iron but pliers and its used to weld plastics together at high heat.

The plastic weld method will work only if the mounts are not made of carbon composite/plastic composites..

The yellow can be taken away by cleaning them with a toothbrush and wet sanding the front lenses.. + plastic polish.

Good luck 1st gens.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well last night at my girlfriends house, I glued the **** out of the headlight, so that ian't gonna come out for a while lol. and is there anyway i can keep moisture out of the headlights?

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I have also found that zip striping the head lights in work the best. My brackets are broken so I just got new headlights and zip stripped them in. (new headlights are 60.00 on ebay or so.)

To keep moisture out the best way would be to use silacon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
so im not the only one. i have a 93 es and for $300 it isn't bad. but iim 17, dont have a job, and noone will fix my car for me im also ****ed. i need at least 2 new tires, the left ball joint pops everytime i brake, accel, turn, etc, the a/c is f-ed up and i had to cud the belt on it, my heater smells like french toast, if i turn off/on the vents theres a very loud and annoying machine gunnning sound which i think is a fan rubbing on a plastic wall but i only does it for a minute when i turn it on or off. my $1000 stereo just got stolen, i have a whole in my front fender (plastic) from my bicycle peg hitting it, the other one has a huge dent in it (metal), from me bunny hopping onto my hood, my whiper blade just exploded off the other day, my driver side seat is stuck in one possition due to my drunkle jacking up my car to rotate the tires. its cratches to ****, and theres still more to it but im tired of typing

if i had a job/money i swear i would sell my busted ass intrepid but prolly end up buying another one beeing just as bad for 10 times as much

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Hell in the ten year my car has been in the family I have replaced the headlights 4 times that includes the time the dealers replaced them under woranty. Now I need to replace the drivers side on cause the brackets are broke.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn, sounds like a lot of problems with the 1st gen cars. Sorry to say but I am glad that I own a 2nd gen late model dodge. But it does suck not to have money when **** the fan on your ride. No matter what car you own. I used to own a 98 DOdge Ram 1500 Quad Cab pickup truck before I got the intrepid and it was frustrating sometimes when I wanted to fix **** on it but couldn't cuz I had no money. Eventually, I traded in my truck for the intrepid. Thank god I did. More happier with this car.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm happy with this car, I mean it runs great, the engine and tranny part I mean. Other than that its a **** bucket. I have money and 2 jobs, I just don't have enough money to pay for the car, college, car payments, insurance and all that, so. And yeah 1st gens have tons of problems with them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts