DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it very simple or will i be taking off the whole dashboard? Only because it is starting to bug me at night when i can not see the entire left side of the gauges. Also the front dashboard speakers are horrible and i couldn't find any fasteners for the dashboard so i am assuming it just pops out?

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Well, you have to take out the cluster, which isnt too bad of a job. But the dash has to partially come out. The bulbs are a dealer only type of thing. PC194/PC168. Here's the steps to remove the cluster

1. Remove shifter knob (2.5mm hex head)
2. Gently pry up on the shifter bezel and just move it away slightly. No need to disconnect anything here.
3. Again, gently pry on the radio bezel next, working your way from bottom to top.
4. Remove drivers side dash endcap (where the fuses are)
5. Remove knee bolster (2 screws and gently pry up and out at an angle. Dont pull straight out as this will release the parking brake if its engaged.
6. Gently squeeze the steering column shroud along the seam on the lock cylinder side. This is probably the trickiest part if its never been off.
7. Remove the instrument cluster bezel. There are a total of 5 screws holding it on. Take the screws out. Put the steering wheel in lowest tilt position to clear the column and pop the bezel out of place starting right above the cluster.
8. Now you should be ready to remove the cluster. There are 2 screws holding it on the bottom. Some cars have Torx T15s, others have normal Phillips heads. take those out and youre ready to pop the cluster out. There are 2 ways you can do this. Either try to fit the edges of our fingers behind the sides of the cluster and GENTLY pull, or make a removal tool out of a coat hanger to gently pull it out. Basically, unwind a hanger, trim it to about 2 feet, bend it in 2 places (forming a "C") and slide it behind the back edges of the cluster to pull it out, more leverage that way. The cluster will pop out and you'll see the bulbs you can change on the back side of it. Installation is just a reversal of the removal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not trying to argue but why do you say the bulbs are a dealer only item? I just purchased some long life 168 bulbs from Advance auto,although I'm not sure they were PC168's.Is that the difference? the PC designation?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the bulbs come out of the holders.. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get them out..but they do come out .. you can use a 194/168 to replace the bulb once you get them out of the black bulb holder.. (I just went down to the basement to confirm that you can for sure).. PC versions have the holders connected..isnt that correct?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kind of an old thread, but I just did this last night and it turned out to be pretty easy. The how-to was really helpful to get the cluster out. While I had the cluster out, I replaced all the replaceable bulbs. I had two types of bulbs....I got PC74 bulbs from the dealer (about $2.50 each). There were three of these smaller ones for indicators that I can't remember. These came with the holders, so it was just a twist out/twist in from the back of the cluster assembly (with a pair of needle-nose). I also got six type 194 bulbs from Pep Boys. It was the same deal, twist out/in the holders from the back, I just had to pull the old bulbs from the holders & replace (a little sticky but not too bad). Four illumination lights, and two indicator lights (Cruise Control & Open Trunk). Same bulbs for the turn signal indicators, but I only bought six.

Anyway, the only hitch I ran into was that I put it all back together before I realized the Tach & Speedometer needles had spun all the way around clockwise and ended up on the wrong side of the stop posts, so neither gauge worked. So I had to spend another 10 minutes to pull it apart again. I just spun them both back to 0 and all is well. Nice to have the whole cluster lit up at night!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts