DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a scanner at home, and don't want to and cannot afford the $1500 to $3500 scan tools. But I found one at Harbor Freight for around $1K.

Has anyone bought and used this in their own garage, ether for professional or hobby use? Can you tell me what you think about it, and how it has performed. It has good reviews on Harbor Freight's website, but you cannot always trust on site reviews. Just tired of having to diagnose problems the old fashioned way, lol.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Still pricey for me. There are other diagnostic tools that do more than code scanners in the $150-500 range that will do quite a bit.

The one you linked to is nice with the bluetooth dongle and the ability to generate and export reports. I looked over the owners manual and it's pretty light on info about the diagnostic features that are available and how to use them.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
Read the Mopar Muscle Magazine review HF links to.

They are very positive about it. And there's info in the article talking about various modes which is also very helpful. If this were around $500-600, I'd be tempted. Their reference/testing is to 1st gen LX Charger with the CAN bus. Our LH cars have the PCI bus and don't have a lot of the functions they talk about for the Charger.

I just bought a Vident 450 that I'm experimenting with on the Special and also my CAN Bus Durangos. I bought it for $175.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
There's also another Vident model with a larger screen and possibly more diagnostic features. As the Mopor Muscle article states...the Hex modes are important and they're limited on our LH cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and ordered that ZR-Pro scan tool from HF, should be here in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it performs. I have decided to expand my business from just restoration to buying/fixing and selling old used vehicles destined for the salvage yard. So thought a decent scan tool would be in order.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,133 Posts
I bought one of these from Glamazon and it works great! Not all the features of the Zurich but only $165.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts