DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is a section for this, but i need an answer quick--i figured more people will see this here right away, so bare with me. i have an e-machines T3025 with, according to best buy, a mother board that is going bad. i purchased the service plan, so this is covered, but they want to do a hard drive back up and charge $90.00 for it. is this really necessary? is this something i can do at home? the only thing i have on there is photos, which i already have saved on cd's, about 2k songs--mp3s and i-tunes. all other documents, etc. i could care less about. so, is a hard drive back up needed? any help is appreciated!!!!!

--rudy--

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If you have all the files you want saved on discs, and have the discs to install all the programs you have. Then a harddrive backup is not necessary. Just think about it as if you were throwing out your computer and getting a new one. If you have everything you're gonna want on that new computer saved to a disk, then you're fine. I really don't understand why they would be erasing your harddrive to install a new motherboard though!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assumed a motherboard is simply plug and play. the only thing i would really want saved is the songs from i-tunes. couldn't i simply get the computer back and copy those files and then have them replace the motherboard--just in case???

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yeah, 2000 songs is a bunch of CDs but I would just put the songs on cd's and save the $90. Technically when you install a new motherboard the windows on your harddrive won't work with the new motherboard because it has a built-in piracy protection feature. I just upgraded the motherboard in my PC and all you have to do is use the xp repair feature on the disc and it willl keep all your files and settings and program the system files to work with the new motherboard. I guess best buy doesn't do it this way though. I would try and argue with them that your computer is under warranty and all costs related to the repair for a faulty product should be covered by them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you want to back up your hard drive to another hard drive exactly as it is right now, the best program is called Acronis Migrate. It's as easy as hooking up the 2nd hard drive and hitting next about 5 times.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes, the best way is to use another harddrive. Either external or internal. Also, verify you rbackup when your done. Nothign worse than thinking you did it right when you didn't.

As for the Motherboard. Yes, if you change out the motherboard, or any large item for a PC. You should restore it. You'll be asking for problems if you don't. If this was not the case. You could simply pull one harddrive and put it into any other PC. But you can't. It may boot and have basic functions. But you will have issues.

I say grab a harddrive thats on sale. open your case. Check your old drive so its on cable select, and put the new one on cable select. Put the new harddrive on the ribbon and ad power. Boot it up. If it doesn't you may have to set your old drive to master and the new to slave. Once its booted. Drag and drop anything you want to save. When done, shut down . pull the drive and take it in. Keeep in mind it will take about 3 weeks to get your PC back. This is not Best Buy fault.The service center is always back logged. Now, ask them to test the unit before you walk out with it. If its fixed, great. If not. They will have to sent it out again. Keep in mind. On the 4th time out its supposed to be authorized for a no lemon replacement.

Oh, you could also play the game. Buy a external harddrive. thats plug and play. Save all your data to it. Your PC will be gone for 3 weeks. It gets back.You put your stuff back on, then take the drive back. You have a 30 return policy on that. Just a idea..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the responses!! i am going to pick it up today and simply back it up myself. i don't feel i should have to pay 90 bucks for something simple as this. like i said, i really only want the songs saved, but i suppose if i have it, i might as well back up everything. another question, i believe my hard drive is 160 GB. do i need to find another hard drive that is equivilent to this size??

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
u just need the equivlent to what your backing up

if your backin up 10 gigs you need about 15

1 - 9 of 9 Posts