DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the forums. I recently acquired a 1995 Intrepid ES with a 3.3. 65,000 miles well maintained. As the topic states it starts really hard, takes maybe 10 seconds of turning over, I have to pump the gas and it fires, revs to 2000 rpm and dies. I start it again and it runs rough for about 15 seconds and then runs great, while its running rough i can smell a lot of gas I'm guessing its from pumping the gas while starting but its the only way it will start. When i get to a stoplight it idles fine for about 10 seconds then the rpm's drop the engine bucks and then idles great for another 10 seconds and so on. Anyone had these same problems? I haven't done the obvious yet I just don't want to start putting a bunch of parts in if someone knows what it probably is. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have not had the problem myself, but I can give you an educated guess. You may have a hole in the diaphragm of your fuel pressure regulator. Pull the small vacuum line from the regulator. There should be absolutely no gas at the vac port on the regulator. If there is gas there it will force feed gas into your intake plenum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at that vaccum line earlier, it struck me as odd becouse its the only line that is rotten looking, I just pulled it off and there is fuel in it, i started the engine and it took a little bit for fuel to come out and it only came out for a few seconds, is the fuel pressure regulator i fixable part or should I just replace it?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
First. I'd check the IAC, and clean it out real good. NExt how many mile are on the plugs, if they are old replace them. If that doesn't fix it then move on the the fuel system, how about the fuel filter ? If it's got a ton of miles on her that also could be changed too. If none of the above fix the problem then get the fuel pressure tested, could be a bad regulator, or fuel pump. Aslo check for any codes too.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
thumbflick said:
i was looking at that vaccum line earlier, it struck me as odd becouse its the only line that is rotten looking, I just pulled it off and there is fuel in it, i started the engine and it took a little bit for fuel to come out and it only came out for a few seconds, is the fuel pressure regulator i fixable part or should I just replace it?
It's not fixable, need to get a new one.

Here's a how-to:

Fuel Pressure Regulator

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

3.3L Engine

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

Fig. 1: Carefully pry the pressure regulator out of the fuel rail

Fig. 2: When removing the pressure regulator, check that the O-rings are on the unit. If they are not, remove them from the rail cavity

Fig. 3: Install the O-rings into the rail cavity and place the spacers on the regulator

Relieve the fuel pressure, as described earlier in this section.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the fuel pressure regulator vacuum connector.

Remove the regulator clamp screw and clamp.

Using a flat bladed tool, pry the pressure regulator out of the fuel rail.

Ensure that the upper O-ring, upper spacer, lower O-ring and lower spacer were removed with the regulator. If not, remove them from the well in the fuel rail.

To install:

Install the two plastic spacers on the regulator. Apply a light coat of engine oil to the O-rings, then place them in the fuel pressure regulator cavity. Do not install the O-rings on the fuel pressure regulator.

Install the fuel pressure regulator into the fuel rail cavity.

Install the fuel pressure regulator hold-down clamp. Tighten the screw to 60 inch lbs. (7 Nm).

Connect the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator.

Using the DRB III or equivalent scan tool, perform the ASD fuel system test to pressurize the fuel system.

Connect the negative battery cable.

Start the vehicle and check for fuel leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I changed the plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter, cleaned the i.a.c, and replaced the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator. The local parts store had to order the new fuel regulator so i didn't replace that yet, the car seems to idle better but still starts hard, what does the bad Fuel Pressure Regulator exactly do to cause the hard starting problem? low fuel pressure? high fuel pressure? I'm just curious, I'm use to working on older cars where i know what every part does and why.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
thumbflick said:
OK, I changed the plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter, cleaned the i.a.c, and replaced the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator. The local parts store had to order the new fuel regulator so i didn't replace that yet, the car seems to idle better but still starts hard, what does the bad Fuel Pressure Regulator exactly do to cause the hard starting problem? low fuel pressure? high fuel pressure? I'm just curious, I'm use to working on older cars where i know what every part does and why.
Like I said in my first post, the raw fuel will go through the vacuum tube and into the plenum causing an extreme rich condition. Normally when vacuum is applied to regulator port fuel pressure in the rail should be 46 on the 3.3. With no vacuum at port pressure maxes out at 55 psi. With a hole in the diaphram (I'm taking a guess at this part) it would render the effect of applied vacuum useless, and actually cause the pressure to be too high. Get the reg replaced!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.