DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting noise from my 2nd Rack and was wondering if anyone has ever done a rack adjustment - tightening the screw circled in the photo.

Gas Auto part Cable Wire Composite material
Gas Auto part Cable Wire Composite material

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,344 Posts
That isnt an adjustment screw as far as I know, its a plug.

They arent adjustable--as far as the shade tree mechanic is concerned--- and are built to very tight specifications; any play in them usually comes from the tie rod ends.

If you are getting noise check the power steering pump and fluid condition.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I saw some youtubes that said you could. Sadly this is my 2nd rack replacement - it is likely just failing like the last one. I blame Cardone

Font Wood Publication Material property Rectangle

·
Woober Goobers!
51,674 Posts
Too bad you didn't get in on the Ebay OEM Mopar New Rack sale a year ago or so. I happen to have one. NOS Mopar Steering Rack. They were under $200

Going aftermarket is a waste of time. Should at least consider a Mopar Reman Rack.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want one if anyone has one to sell! I could save it for a rainy day...☔

·
Woober Goobers!
51,674 Posts
I want one if anyone has one to sell! I could save it for a rainy day...☔
Sorry...you probably expect to pay $50 for a $2k OEM rack. I'll hold onto mine. You really are a cheap bastard and it will tend to bite you in the ass.

Still have that mirror you were looking for awhile back. I'll list iton the Eghey and get my money back. Best of luck!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,674 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I also have new transaxles and cv joints.
New transaxles? Are you talking about just the axles? And CV joints are part of the axles?

A "Transaxle" is considered the complete Differential/Transmission for a Front wheel drive vehicle. Semantics I guess.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry...you probably expect to pay $50 for a $2k OEM rack. I'll hold onto mine. You really are a cheap bastard and it will tend to bite you in the ass.

Still have that mirror you were looking for awhile back. I'll list iton the Eghey and get my money back. Best of luck!
Not sure where you are coming from. I never made a deal to buy a mirror from you. I fixed mine without replacing by the way - thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I would pay $300+ if anyone bought one cheap and has since sold their car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New transaxles? Are you talking about just the axles? And CV joints are part of the axles?

A "Transaxle" is considered the complete Differential/Transmission for a Front wheel drive vehicle. Semantics I guess.
Yes. I have a new, complete transaxle, but I also have a set of new cv joints. Hedging my bets. I need this car to last the rest of my driving life.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I did the turkey baster thing - my fluid looks new - except there is an occasional tiny piece of black scum or something. Do these cars have a power steering fluid filter inline somewhere? If not can I add one? If so where in the lines would be best to install it? There are lots for these filters for sale on Amazon - some are magnetic and others are not. - please check out the attached photos.

Also...I saw a youtube that said some Honda's have an o-ring on the return line where it bolts onto the PS pump - and these get hard and shrink allowing air into system - do our cars have anything like this?

Circuit component Font Electronic device Cylinder Technology
Font Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part

·
Registered
28 Posts
Honestly, since the power steering fluid needs to be replaced every so often (like brake fluid etc) i would think that a filter would be a waste of time and money. As far as particulates in the fluid, they might be from seals, or more likely hoses long past replacement age... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced the hoses when I bought the car 35,000 miles ago in 2018 and I replaced the rack after it somehow came off the car and was then towed to a shop a few years and only a few thousand miles ago - and I had to replace it twice under part warranty after the first replacement rack failed. ATF+4 fluid looks very new still except for a few black sludge bits.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PS fluid change seems to have quieted it down - will do it again tomorrow too. Thanks all!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am getting noise from my 2nd Rack and was wondering if anyone has ever done a rack adjustment - tightening the screw circled in the photo.

View attachment 42028 View attachment 42028
I have never done a rack adjustment but might need to learn how. My rack is wearing out. I can feel the straight position has some play but turning left or right it tightens back up again. I might have this trusty shop do it for me but if it’s not a hard job and the part isn’t that much, I might try it myself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Obviously if you are certain it is the rack that is bad, you could return it for warranty replacement again, and take a chance that you got a couple bad ones.

If you aren't going to return the Cardone again for another warranty replacement, there are a few possibilities.

ACDelco also made remanufactured racks for Intrepids. They used to show up periodically on Rockauto.com, but when I checked today there is only Cardone and "BBB Industries" (whatever the heck that is). So that ACDelco supply may be gone, but it is worth checking the site if any show up soon . I bought an ACDelco rack several years ago for my 1st Gen when they were on sale (still in the box). Based on other parts I've bought, ACDelco quality is likely better than Cardone.

You might want to try your local NAPA or Carquest (not many stores left), and see if they have reman racks and who makes them. Could also see if any brand names like the ACDelco are on the Advance Auto or O'Reily Auto Parts sites. If you get it from a local parts store, you can possibly (?) also return it with less hassle under warranty with receipt if it goes bad (ask for copy of warranty or where it is on their website).

If you take the Mopar part number for your year from the Intrepid Parts Catalog (below), there is a chance that one could still show up on ebay from the guys that buy Mopar parts from dealers that go out of business (used to be a few of these on ebay.) But I'd only pay a bargain price and want a photo of it to confirm it is the correct rack. You can also search ebay on the reman part number (below). Obviously you'd only want to buy from someone with a near 100% ebay feeback rating and check any negative feedbacks.

Of course the best thing would be if one of the online Mopar Parts dealers would have a new-old-stock (NOS) rack or a Mopar reman rack. There may be some of these sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere. As I recall the reman part numbers are the same as the original p/n but with "R" at the beginning. However, sometimes the the part numbers were changed/updated after the original part catalog came out, and in that case the listed reman number (with the "R" at the front) may be different than the original part number in the parts catalog. However, often there is a note in the listing showing the old part number that was updated.

Link to Mopar Reman online site:
Looks like a bit confusing to use, since it looks like it lists every car/truck application for the same rack all together with multiple pages. I assume if listed it can still be ordered (?):
Pdf Parts catalogs are in the Second Gen General Discussion, Second Gen Service Information Subforum:

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Obviously if you are certain it is the rack that is bad, you could return it for warranty replacement again, and take a chance that you got a couple bad ones.

If you aren't going to return the Cardone again for another warranty replacement, there are a few possibilities.

ACDelco also made remanufactured racks for Intrepids. They used to show up periodically on Rockauto.com, but when I checked today there is only Cardone and "BBB Industries" (whatever the heck that is). So that ACDelco supply may be gone, but it is worth checking the site if any show up soon . I bought an ACDelco rack several years ago for my 1st Gen when they were on sale (still in the box). Based on other parts I've bought, ACDelco quality is likely better than Cardone.

You might want to try your local NAPA or Carquest (not many stores left), and see if they have reman racks and who makes them. Could also see if any brand names like the ACDelco are on the Advance Auto or O'Reily Auto Parts sites. If you get it from a local parts store, you can possibly (?) also return it with less hassle under warranty with receipt if it goes bad (ask for copy of warranty or where it is on their website).

If you take the Mopar part number for your year from the Intrepid Parts Catalog (below), there is a chance that one could still show up on ebay from the guys that buy Mopar parts from dealers that go out of business (used to be a few of these on ebay.) But I'd only pay a bargain price and want a photo of it to confirm it is the correct rack. You can also search ebay on the reman part number (below). Obviously you'd only want to buy from someone with a near 100% ebay feeback rating and check any negative feedbacks.

Of course the best thing would be if one of the online Mopar Parts dealers would have a new-old-stock (NOS) rack or a Mopar reman rack. There may be some of these sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere. As I recall the reman part numbers are the same as the original p/n but with "R" at the beginning. However, sometimes the the part numbers were changed/updated after the original part catalog came out, and in that case the listed reman number (with the "R" at the front) may be different than the original part number in the parts catalog. However, often there is a note in the listing showing the old part number that was updated.

Link to Mopar Reman online site:
Looks like a bit confusing to use, since it looks like it lists every car/truck application for the same rack all together with multiple pages. I assume if listed it can still be ordered (?):
Pdf Parts catalogs are in the Second Gen General Discussion, Second Gen Service Information Subforum:
Highly agreed on AC Delco (their "Professional" line preferred over their "Advantage" line).

Don't forget to check Amazon too, though often if they're on there, the same sellers have the same parts listed on ebay, though can be another source for price shopping. I see AC Delco Professional 36R0278 and 36R0279 2nd gen reman'ed listed on Amazon at $270 and $280 (I don't know if those are good prices or not) - but currently out of stock. I didn't check for 1st gen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts