DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of spraying SPI epoxy primer then a satin top coat. if anyone has done chassis painting what did you use and why?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've done two cars. I painted the GTX body color and just used the same paint as I painted the car. I did another car using bed liner for durability

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am not painting mine with paint....I'm undercoating the **** outta mine before this winter....I plan on either undercoating it or using LINE-X or Rhinoliner to coat the entire bottom of my R/T....these Indiana winters are just eating away at her.....but if u use regular car paint I'm not sure how it would last with debris and stuff....u might wanna do the epoxy and do several coats....might last longer....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
When I got the eagle it was so rust free that I used undercoating on it to keep it that way. There is a guy in Ohio that does Krown application, I took my truck to him last year. This fall I'm taking the Vision and Impala.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michigan winters are terrible, they salt the shyte out of everything, hell just walking down the street in the winter you get high blood pressure, however this car is not going to see any winters so I think it will be safe as it will stay in the garage during the winter

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Chicago was horrible as well. The toll roads are the worst, they put so much salt down and then the trucks turn it into a mist that gets into the seams and inner panels and rusts these old cars badly. Thats why I turned to Krown, they spray inside the doors and rockers and seams with a oil that seeps between the metall to nuteralize the salt. Indiana dosent seem to be as salt happy and seems to use sand in some places, especially rural areas. We'll see, this is my first winter commuting in Indiana.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I see you're from Lowell....lol...I live like 10 minutes from there in Crown Point...they started using sand because the salt became so freaking expensive after 2008 that IN couldn't afford it....the sand doesn't do ****....the trep does drive very well in the snow here for me....and I have been driving the last 2 winters on my 17" R/T stock wheels with almost bald tires...lol....still drives excellent....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The clear on the Vision is shot, the roof is nearly down to primer and on the plastic fenders its pealing like dead skin after sunburn

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'll bet the GTX only comes out on dry sunny days!
Gotta take that 440 out once in a while to shake the dust off!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'll bet the GTX only comes out on dry sunny days!
Gotta take that 440 out once in a while to shake the dust off!
I prefer sunny days but its seen more rain than you might think. 440 is now a stroker 512 and the dust stays clear of it...lol

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
My girlfriend (with a hunch from her dad) bought me 2 quarts of POR-15 for my birthday this year. That's what I'll be using if I ever get to cleaning up the underside of the Special.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good. I might just follow your lead on my Special!
I can tell you this much I have really come to hate sand blasting LOL it is messy and the acid Burns like a @#[email protected] when it drips onto your skin however I am glad I did this as there was far more rust than I originally thought. Also the SPI epoxy hardens to a Shield of armor I am very pleased with that product. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up and epoxied tmrw

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Looks good. Can't wait to see it painted up, are you doing it body color or black?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts