DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, due to it apparently being a severe PITA to get your car into a shop for window tinting around here (terrible customer service), I am considering tinting my own windows. Ive done it once before, years ago on my old Monte Carlo...dont remember much about it, except, lots of squeegee work, and soap and water solution.

Instructions and videos ive seen seem pretty simple, make a pattern on the outside of the glass, remove the adhesive liner, install on the inside and tuck under the lower window seal, and squeegee away. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Don't do it!

I know you are an automotive wizzard when it comes to most things, but I've done window tinting and it's a pain in the ass. It might look good for a few days or weeks, but eventually you won't like it. Leave it to the pros and get a warranty!

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I'd be willing to help/observe. I don't get in your area very often though. Or you could wait for one of the upcoming meets.

My rear window (backlight) was poorly done (needs replaced or reworked), and I have some other car windows to do too. I understand it's hard the first time and of course our rear window is a pain...

No looking for someone to do mine, just looking to add the look without the cost after I watch/help someone. :)

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Does Black paint count?
Ha! I saw this recently for the very first time. It looked like the dude just used black spray paint and simply moved his hand quickly. You could see where he changed direction to go back and forth!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found several places online that sell pre-cut kits for our cars. That would be the way to go if I decide to do it. No cutting the tint by hand, which IMO is the biggest pita of the job.

Definitely would want some help with the back window. Might do this next weekend, definitely worth the savings.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
It's not worth the savings Dan! Maybe I'll rebuild my engine myself and save a few grand....can I use a dremmel drill to machine the parts?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not worth the savings Dan! Maybe I'll rebuild my engine myself and save a few grand....can I use a dremmel drill to machine the parts?
I cant believe its that tough. Seems pretty straight forward from the videos Ive watched this morning. As long as I got all the proper tools and solutions, I think it would be fine.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Side windows are easy looking, the rear one not so much. I'll still let a pro do my next car.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Don't do it!

I know you are an automotive wizzard when it comes to most things, but I've done window tinting and it's a pain in the ass. It might look good for a few days or weeks, but eventually you won't like it. Leave it to the pros and get a warranty!

Gotta agree with the big guy here.........

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Don't do it!

X2!!! Side windows won't be too bad - that back window will be a BEEYOTCH. Even if you heat the film to shrink it around the compound curvature... you'll be cussing a blue streak.

Unless you have the patience of Job and a lint/dust-free environment, you may want to seek another shop to handle it.

I've done cars in the past (back when I was younger and didn't really care if there was a stray bubble), but these days, I wouldn't touch the windows myself.

If you DO pull the trigger on the self-install, good luck! And buy extra film! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
in the video it looks so easy, but when U actually apply the tint it isn't easy! me and pascal tried it and it was more difficult than we thought. ruined a couple of pieces and then said fuk this! maybe pre cut would have been another story...thank gawd my car came pre tinted when I bought her! LOL

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hrmmmm....well, gonna have to think about this one. I can save alot of cash, and IMO, if a bunch of 20 year old kids (no offense) can handle this job I think I can. Doesnt seem to be rocket science. If I decide to to it i'll take a video and post a how-to, or how-not to....LOL

Im just frustrated with the horrible service I recieved from the two "professional" tint shops I have dealt with in the past week. They both could pretty much f*ck up one-car funerals. I dont trust either of them anywhere near my car now.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The back window I hear is one hell of a ***** to do. For that reason alone I would not do it.
Agreed

I found several places online that sell pre-cut kits for our cars. That would be the way to go if I decide to do it. No cutting the tint by hand, which IMO is the biggest pita of the job.

Definitely would want some help with the back window. Might do this next weekend, definitely worth the savings.
Two words....cheap ass tint......oh wait that's three!

Not worth it at all.

Hrmmmm....well, gonna have to think about this one. I can save alot of cash, and IMO, if a bunch of 20 year old kids (no offense) can handle this job I think I can. Doesnt seem to be rocket science. If I decide to to it i'll take a video and post a how-to, or how-not to....LOL

Im just frustrated with the horrible service I recieved from the two "professional" tint shops I have dealt with in the past week. They both could pretty much f*ck up one-car funerals. I dont trust either of them anywhere near my car now.
You won't save a dime if you buy the precut **** and then fuvk it up.....ask me how I know!

Tried to cheap out myself and bought the precut cheap ****. I used to tint cars when I was a teen. Probably did close to a dozen cars and I could not do the 300M

There must be a good shop somewhere....call a local dealer and get a referral.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two words....cheap ass tint......oh wait that's three!
3M offers a pre-cut kit with lifetime warranty, top of the line.

Im gonna call a couple more places, if I get the same run around again, I am doing it myself.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well if you decide to do it yourself dan, good luck !!
i tried it once and swore never to do it again :)
Thanks, lol. I still cant believe its so difficult. I dont remember it being that bad when I did my Monte Carlo. That was about 12 years ago though. I remember having to re-do the rear side window, because some glue came out from behind the molding and got stuck on the tint, but honestly I didnt think it was that much of a pita.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well, due to it apparently being a severe PITA to get your car into a shop for window tinting around here (terrible customer service), I am considering tinting my own windows. Ive done it once before, years ago on my old Monte Carlo...dont remember much about it, except, lots of squeegee work, and soap and water solution.

Instructions and videos ive seen seem pretty simple, make a pattern on the outside of the glass, remove the adhesive liner, install on the inside and tuck under the lower window seal, and squeegee away. Any thoughts?
Not the easiest thing to do but if you take you time and get good tint it's not impossible. I did it to my mustang before I could drive takes a lot of time but it's worth it if you do it right. I also helped do a truck window after a wreck. If you can't do it, come down here for a weekend lol plenty of good tint shops lol!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts