DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Found this on a page some where and was wondering if anybody has tried it. It was written by a guy named Larry Carley.

1.) Disconnect the battery to erase the computer’s memory.
2.) Reconnect the battery and start the engine.
3.)Drive he vehicle while trying to maintain a constant throttle position as it accelerates up through all four gears. If the transmission is shifting properly, it should be in 4th gear by the time you reach 45 to 50 mph. Repeat this procedure from a standing start 15 to 20 times.
4.)With the vehicle traveling at less than 25 mph, do five to eight wide open throttle kickdowns to get the transmission to downshift to 1st from 2nd or 3rd gear. Drive in 2nd or 3rd gear for at least five seconds between kickdowns and remember to kick it down only when you’re going less than 25 mph.
5.)While driving at 45 to 50 mph, do five to eight part to wide open throttle kickdowns to either 2nd or 3rd from 4th gear. Again, continue driving for at least five seconds in 4th gear between kickdowns.

Here is the link to the full Article http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf90222.htm

Let me know what you think.

AK

·
Registered
931 Posts
i did a "quick learn" with a scan tool but ive never heard of the method you found. the tcm learns your driving habbits so just disconnecting the battery for a while to clear it is sufficient. then after some driving it will learn your shift points, engine load etc.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I haven't done that, at least not consciously. But I do know that it has learned my driving habits. How? Because when I use Autostick I rarely shift into 4th if I'm going under 40mph. The only time I do is if I have to travel less than 40mph for some time. When I drive in full auto, I notice the computer follows the same pattern. Kinda funny really.

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
I think in the long run, it won't matter how you initially "train" the TCM. Here's why: The training is continual, and it is a weighted average kind of adaptive training. What that means is that it is continually looking at the driving habits and puts heavy emphasis on the more recent inputs, with the earlier influences eventually fading to having zero effect. I don't know what the latency of the earlier influences are, i.e., does it take two days or three weeks for inputs to fade to insignificance?

If someone knows different, speak up - but this is how things of this nature would typically be done in the engineering world.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's a pretty long procedure just to reset your TCM. All you have to do is pull the TCM fuse out of the fuse box and leave it out for about 1/2 hour. Next time you need to drive somewhere, pop it back in and away you go! I've tried it and many people on the 300M board have as well. It works!

It is good only for short period as previously stated. It will re-learn your driving style in a matter of days.

·
Registered
931 Posts
peva said:
I think in the long run, it won't matter how you initially "train" the TCM. Here's why: The training is continual, and it is a weighted average kind of adaptive training. What that means is that it is continually looking at the driving habits and puts heavy emphasis on the more recent inputs, with the earlier influences eventually fading to having zero effect. I don't know what the latency of the earlier influences are, i.e., does it take two days or three weeks for inputs to fade to insignificance?

If someone knows different, speak up - but this is how things of this nature would typically be done in the engineering world.

nope, your 100% correct on how it works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts