DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 15" aluminum alloy American racing rims that came with the car when I bought it. I've planned to buy new rims/tires for about the past 5 months now, and still haven't done anything about it (money issues)...anyways, i figured that i am going to be stuck with these things for a while longer, so i might as well try to make themm look as good as i possibly can...they had bad water marks, hardened brake dust all over them, and the tires were a very dull black....FUGLY!!!! so i made a trip up to my work, and picked up some polishing and refinishing pastes we use on show trucks, customer cars, etc....it was a 5 step process for each wheel, and took me about 3 hours of work...first step is rinsing off the wheel with water, just to get rid of any loose brake dust and dirt....then you take rubbing compound, which you can buy and any pep boys, k mart, autozone, and work it into the wheel using small fast strokes to oxidize the majority of the hardened brake dust off of the rim, this gets the rims clean, but makes it look like raw aluminum...very dull color....then take a polishing compound, and use the same rubbing technique as you did with the rubbing compound and work into cracks and crevices of the wheel this will further oxidize the rim, but will poshish it also when buffed...you can do this with a microfiber towel. FINALLY, you can use either a aluminum polish, or a chrome polish and either use a buffer to apply or a microfiber towel...tire shine adds the finishing touch, and you have a beautifully restored rim with that killer luster and shine that it deserves.!!! :smilie_co

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got alloys on mine and there are permanent swirl marks on it from being 13yrs old now and I cant get them out. One guy I know does car painting and he said he thinks its because the clear coat has worn off and now there are these moisture marks ect... Any ideas on how restore them. I re-cleared them but it did nothing. I think I either need to get them refinished or new rims. Any suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts