DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Trep ex-cop car. The hazard lights button on top of the steering column pops up by itself, occasionally, and I'll wake up to my lights blinking. Has this happened to anyone else? When you depress the switch to turn it off, it feels as though the button has a "catch" which is not catching good enough anymore.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
Remove & Replace! It's part of the Multifunction Switch/Stalk assembly.

04760594AC 1 SWITCH, Multifunction

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
There is a decent aftermarket multifunction switch - Shee-Mar SM140 - ebay and Rock Auto have them. Just go with best overall price. A good way to renew the worn off white paint markings on the switch too. You'll need a number E4 E-Torx socket to R&R the switch - Advance Auto Parts and Harbor Freight have inexpensive E-Torx socket sets that include the E4. I put them in both Concordes I had just for the paint markings.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Be sure the top cover for the column is properly seated when you change the switch. Recently had the same issue, turned out the cover has a tab in that area the may interfere with the switch staying latched in the down/off position.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an 02 Trep ex-cop car. The hazard lights button on top of the steering column pops up by itself, occasionally, and I'll wake up to my lights blinking. Has this happened to anyone else? When you depress the switch to turn it off, it feels as though the button has a "catch" which is not catching good enough anymore.
I’ve personally never had this problem. It could be because you have an ex cop car and they maybe used the hazards more than most people. Try replacing the switch and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Be sure the top cover for the column is properly seated when you change the switch. Recently had the same issue, turned out the cover has a tab in that area the may interfere with the switch staying latched in the down/off position.
Hi Bob!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 98 intrepid has done that on a hot day with the sun hitting directly on the steering column, started using a sun screen in the windshield and it stopped that issue, but that may not be your problem.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
If you don't have the E-4 socket, it's a difficult or impossible job. Starting off with the E-4 socket makes it a relatively simple job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts