DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Detnews.com:

Kenwood, Panasonic and JVC make HD radio receivers. Visteon Corp. was the first company to produce an in-car HD radio receiver. It supplies BMW.

HD radio in driver's seat
Audio quality, less interference and free service put

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

V ideo may have killed the radio star, but AM and FM radio stations are not yielding to the satellite challenge without a fight.

Even as Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio strive to convince consumers to pay for a service they have received for free since its inception, the nation's broadcast radio stations are rolling out new digital technology that delivers better audio quality, less interference and a host of new features.

Twenty-three Detroit-area radio stations already offer the new technology, known as HD radio, and the industry is lobbying aggressively to get automakers to offer HD radios in their cars and trucks.

So far, BMW AG is the only one that does, but eight more automakers are planning to offer HD radios on 36 models over the next couple of years. And while the number of HD radios in use today is in the tens of thousands, it is expected to grow to 1 million by the end of the year, according to iBiquity Digital, the company that is developing and licensing HD radio technology.

That's still a sliver of the 100 million radios sold annually and the 900 million to 1 billion radios in use today. But HD radio promoters remain confident it will grow in appeal, much like high-definition television is taking root.

"It's well under way," iBiquity CEO Bob Struble told the Automotive Press Association in Detroit on Tuesday. "We've got vehicles out there. We've got products out there."

The Federal Communications Commission approved the rollout of HD radio in 2002. More than 3,000 radio stations have announced plans to convert to HD broadcasts over the next couple of years. Hundreds already have.

The nation's largest radio companies have formed an alliance to develop and promote the technology. They plan to spend $200 million to advertise HD radio on radio stations this year, making HD radio the single largest radio advertiser in the United States.

HD radio also promises to revive the AM spectrum, which has long languished as a victim of poor, monotone-only sound. Digital AM stations can broadcast in stereo with FM-quality audio.

A unique feature of HD radio is multicasting, which allows broadcasters to transmit multiple audio streams over the same frequency. That means radio stations can simultaneously broadcast several programs.

Some Detroit stations are already doing just that. For example, WNIC broadcasts a second HD channel on the same frequency that plays nothing but love songs.

HD receivers also can work with vehicle navigation systems to allow traffic accidents and other hazards to be displayed on screen in real time. Second-generation systems will allow listeners to record and rewind radio programs, retrieve more in-depth information and even make purchases with their radios.

"There's no better place to make an impulse purchase than when you're stuck in traffic," Struble said.

Visteon Corp. was the first company to produce an in-car HD radio receiver. It supplies BMW and has inked deals to supply other automakers.

"We're in a good position," said Visteon technical fellow Bill Whikehart. "Things are really accelerating."

Visteon forged an alliance with iBiquity in 1999 to help bring HD radio to the world. In fact, it developed a key component of the technology, which it now licenses to other manufacturers. But Visteon also produces satellite receivers for both Sirius and XM.

"We view the HD and the satellite as complimentary," Whikehart said.

Where to tune in

HD radio stations in Metro Detroit:
FM
WCSX, 94.7 FM, classic rock
WDET, 101.9 FM, NPR
WDMK, 105.9 FM, Urban adult contemporary
WDRQ, 93.1 FM, classic hits
WDTW, 106.7 FM, classic hits
WDVD, 96.3 FM, adult contemporary
WHTD, 102.7 FM, urban
WJLB, 97.9 FM, urban
WKQI, 95.5 FM, yop 40
WKRK, 97.1 FM, talk
WMGC, 105.1 FM, adult contemporary
WMUZ, 103.5 FM, Christian
WMXD, 92.3 FM, urban adult contemporary
WNIC, 100.3 FM, adult contemporary
WOMC, 104.3 FM, oldies
WRIF, 101.1 FM, rock
WVMV, 98.7 FM, jazz
AM
WCHB, 1200 AM, gospel
WFDF, 910 AM, children
WJR, 760 AM, news/talk
WWJ, 950 AM, news
WXYT, 1270 AM, sports
WYCD, 99.5 FM, country
Source: iBiquity Digital

http://www.detnews.com

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I first heard about HD radio a few months ago on a local radio station that said they were now broadcasting in HD. I went online to check it out, but unfortunately although there are a ton of stations now in HD, theres not many receivers being made. Alpine just released an add-on tuner but its only for 2006 receivers so its useless to me. I did read though that iBiquity digital, the company that invented HD radio, is working on a receiver that converts their receives their signals and outputs them in the same format XM and Sirius receivers use. This way, any XM or Sirius ready receiver can add HD radio. I can't wait because I've been wanting to buy a new car audio toy for a while!

·
Registered
202 Posts
It may sound nicer, but its still full of shitty commercials. I'll keep my Sirius thank you.

Edit: kenwood has been selling hd tuners for a few years in addition to their sat tuners. they use the cd changer controls just like their other add-ons.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
what would be nice is if they would make an add on receiver, like how the sirius and xm are now where it converts it to regular (yes i know you will lose the "definition" that HD provides, but i want it more for the selection of channels that are available) fm modulation

·
Registered
34 Posts
Azril said:
It may sound nicer, but its still full of shitty commercials. I'll keep my Sirius thank you.

Edit: kenwood has been selling hd tuners for a few years in addition to their sat tuners. they use the cd changer controls just like their other add-ons.

He nailed it. The same old crapy content as always. I'll stick with my XM :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts