DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am looking for new bulbs for my headlights (9007) that actually emit a noticeable blue light from them like I see on so many new cars.... I have looked on ebay and see soooo many different companys but am not sure which one to go with.. Please help me out..

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this subject. You should look around a little bit. Alot of the "blue" lights you find around are 85/100w as compared to OEM bulbs which are 55/65w. There have been horror stories about people with the high watt bulbs having their wiring harnesses melt. I have the APC high watt bulbs and I haven't encountered this problem yet (thank god). I think there are companies that make the "blue" bulbs in OEM wattage, but you have to order them. I have noticed a nice difference in visibility with the bulbs I got ($25 for the pair). They are higher watt which helps, but also they emit a whiter light (with a hint of blue) as compared to the dingy yellowish light OEM bulbs have. PIAA makes really nice lights. I am not sure if the make a "blue" light like you are looking for, but they are very good quality from what I have heard. Also, if you are set on a "blue" bulb, don't be fooled by the really cheap lights that claim to be blue. Examples are Sylvania CoolBlue (what I had before my APC bulbs), GE Superblue, and I think Wagner makes a wanna be "blue" light. Well I hope that I was able to help you out a bit through this lengthy (well, long for me :D) post. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with Pimped. Some of the "blue" bulbs are actually lower in light output than the original bulbs in your car. Their appearance is strictly to give the illusion of a HID system, without any of the performance improvement you might want. I own a '98 ES which I just added the PIAA Super White bulbs to. They give a slight blue appearance, but their performance is outstanding. I love 'em.

If I remember correctly, the headlights on the first generation Intrepids was something many owners complained about.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the 1st gen headlights suck, that's no question. the 2nd gen is much better.

first of all, you don't really want to go higher than stock wattage, because as pimped explained there's a decent chance of you melting a lot of wiring and connections. second, you don't really want blue because blue light is actually worse than white. it may look cool but blue light scatters a lot more than white does. money says that the OEM bulbs are better than superblues, even the high wattage ones.

if you want to do it right, get PIAA SuperWhites in OE wattage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just checked PIAA's website...nothing available for 1st gen 'treps. I did manage to find some 930 H.I.D.s that might mount somewhere in the front spoiler, but I'm not sure what results to expect, much less if it's legal to use them instead of the OEs. I'm thinking of buying some and finding some way to attach them to the dash with the included switch. The question will be how to get power to them. Since they're only 35W driving lamps, it shouldn't be too much strain to power them off the OE harness, but I doubt the relay they supply will fit it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just sent a plea to PIAA to make a lamp for our first gens. We'll see what they say, but I'm sure all of us would be interested in aquiring a set of those if they made them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I found 9007SB's at Walmart. 10 bucks a piece. Haven't been able to verify if they are brighter or not because of this really ignorant, stupid, idiotic, foolish, ugly, weak, terrible, unsound, unproficient, moronic design of the headlight housings. But I'll let you know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
PIAA does make lights for the first gen intrepid but they are fairly expensive because the bulb is both low/high beam in cdn it was around $160 (if my memory serves me right). I wish that I had the part number but I don't. I wanted to get them but did not have the money at the time.

I haven't tried to replace my headlights because when I got the car the previous owner had put blue bulbs in but trust me they really really suck because I can not see at night without any street lights. How hard is it to replace the light bulbs, looks like a lot has to be moved around in order to do so. Not like the hondas where you stick your hand in twist the socket and out pops the bulb in under 30 seconds.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Dooley_96 Intrepid ES said:
I found 9007SB's at Walmart. 10 bucks a piece. Haven't been able to verify if they are brighter or not because of this really ignorant, stupid, idiotic, foolish, ugly, weak, terrible, unsound, unproficient, moronic design of the headlight housings. But I'll let you know.
Those were the ones that I was talking about that look exactly like OEM bulbs. They are basically the same as what I had in my car before I got my new bulbs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got a reply

Got a reply from PIAA about the "lamps" (they actually gave me information about bulbs, but whatever... :rolleyes: ). Exact text follows:

The 93 to 97 Intrepids use 9007 bulbs which we do currently manufacture in
both Super White and Xtreme White. It's the 98+ models we don't manufacture
the bulbs for.
I emailed them back for some part numbers and MSRPs. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend checking out www.autoaccessory.com ... they have a full line of xenon bulbs which will give you the blue look you are looking for w/o sacrificing brightness ... xenon bulbs are the only type of bulb that can truly mimick HID systems ... I had a 95 Intrepid ... threw in some 80/100w bulbs ... never had a problem(knock on wood :blush: ... I just ordered a set of Xenon crystal 80w for my low beam and 100 for my high to put in my 2000 ES ... and then a pair of 55w for the fogs ... I have faith that these babies will kick ... please take my info with a grain of salt as I am brand new here and not a lighting expert ... I just wanted to share the results of the tons of research that i have done on this subject as well as share the experience I had with my old 95 ... which my dad now drives ... and thankfully ... after 3 years, those blue bulbs are still kickin :tongue:

peace,

Fantom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rather than go with some blue light bulbs (do you really think someone will see your blue bulbs and think "Wow, it looks like an intrepid but it must be a european sports sedan!"?) why not look at upgrading the parts that matter, the bulb itself and more importantly the wiring leading to it? I haven't checked the intrepid yet, but on my other vehicle (also an early chrysler) the headlight wiring goes from the distribution block, to the switch, to the lights, with long runs of wire and a switch inadequate to flow the necessary current without too much resistance. This leads to a substantial voltage drop at the headlight itself. I installed a wiring bypass which uses a heavy guage fused wire going directly to the battery, through two relays, each activated by the original wiring, to the headlights. High and low beam each have a separate relay. The entire wiring harness was inexpensive, or if you're that cheap you can make your own, and works very well. This combined with some upgraded bulbs makes the stock headlight housing work as well as they can.
whodat

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This is exactly what I am gearing up to do. However, I have not been able to find any suitable relays. I would like to go with a good set of Hella relays with snap-together sockets for them. Click here to read about how to put relays into your existing wiring. The link provides a lot of information about it and why it is a good thing. Plus, if you are adding higher wattage bulbs to your system, it is a good thing to put in heavier gage wire to handle the increase in wattage. Factory wiring could overheat.

One thing that that site doesn't say is what P/N's for the relays that they recommend (Hella I believe). I saw another site that recommended Bosch relays with a spade type fuse on each relay so that the relays wouldn't blow if too much current was applied. Again, with no part numbers. To make matters worse, I can find no useful information online about where to buy either Bosch or Hella relays.

If you could help me out, whodat, with some P/N's and possibly where you bought them from... If you could do that I will make a completely documented install with before and after pics of the headlamps and a complete how-to with all parts, relative lengths, and sources included. I am sure that many could use something like this if it were to prove to be the fix all of us First Gen guys are looking for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What whodat said!

Here is another thread on the topic that contains a link to a third:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1265

We 1st gen folks are hampered by piss-poor optics design. Changing light "color" or even wattage won't help a whole lot if the beam pattern still stinks!

Here's a link on "blue lights" you may wish to review:
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/blue/

And here's one on converting to HID:
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/HID/conversion/

and one specifically about the PIAA superwhites:
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/bulbs/superwhites/

-steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
I lost my photo hosting ability with the photopoint fiasco, but I'll go out and look at my harness today and see if Ican find some numbers. I'm running standard 30a relays, and the kit I used is nice because it doesn't in any way splice into your factory wiring. It uses a bulb-style connector plugged into one of your old light sockets to get the +12v signal for high and low beams, and uses it's own replacement sockets to connect to your headlights. Very clean install, and easily removeable/transferrable to a different car.
whodat

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
And where, per say, did you get this kit from...:rolleyes:
That is exactly what I want to do with my kit. Make it so I don't have to cut or splice any wires.

Please, I need info. I can't find anything on the web and the electronics stores around me are full of jack-a$$es.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, I just now picked up on whodat bought a pre-fabbed relay & harness set up......I'm also very curious where you got it. Let us in on this source of yours, whodat!

Sorry swartlkk...didn't mean to gt redundant. It's just so few have found Dan Sterns site, I never expected to see it referenced.:D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
np. I've found a few others in searching for online sources for relays, but for the most part Dan's site is the most informative. Most of the sites that I have come across have been for adding relays to early European (pronounced Ur-A-Pee'n hehe) sports cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts