DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks- I have seen that - it just seems way easier to just remove the piece circled in my photo.

The Latino Spanish speaking mechanic's youtube really shows the simplest way I think. I might also need 4 jack screws though - those long ones.

Anyone know if all 4 are matching? They seem to have two different Mopar numbers - the inside bolts vs the outside bolts.

I just changed the belts - but hell, maybe I should just replace the whole headlight fixtures on both sides while I have this all apart - at least I will get the perk of new non yellowed foggy glass...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Big difference between the Intrepid setup and the Corde and 300M setup. The Intrepid headlights rest on top of the bumper. Concorde and 300M headlights sit behind the bumper. Even if you remove the radiator cover, you still won't have enough room to pull the lamps out of the headlight assy. The bumper still needs to be loosened and pulled forward. Pulling the bumper forward is the only way to get enough room to pull the lamps out of the headlight assy.
From the FSM
CONCORDE/300M
(1) Release hood latch and open hood.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative remote cable.
(3) Remove the one bolt retaining the washer bottle filler neck and move aside.
(4) Remove the two bolts retaining the speed control servo and move aside.
(5) Remove fasteners to upper radiator crossmember:
• Two jack screws on each side.
• Three crossmember retaining bolts on each side.
• Three push pin fasteners across top of grille
• Gently pry back grille and remove the two bolts to front crossmember. This will allow you to move the crossmember forward, pivoting at the radiator grille, to access the headlamp unit.
NOTE: Once the crossmember is loose, take care not to scratch the fenders.
(6) Maneuver the headlamp unit to remove from behind fascia. Gentle prying of fascia may be needed to clear it enough to remove the headlamp unit. (7) Disconnect the lamp connectors and transfer lamps if replacing unit

So, "Gentle Prying"...I don't see how you can be gentle in the winter. Your bumper is not going to be very flexible! You asked about the jack screws. All four are the same length. The early years had a torx head while later years had a hex head (use a 7mm socket) but they are all the same length.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What car designer thought that was a smart idea. 😀

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
added the comments from the FSM and I totally agree with you. The Dodge design is much simpler for the DIYer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks.

The Jack Bolt info is great to know - by the way will the older torx head bolts also fit?

The ones I have are really 6.5mm - tried my 7 mm socket - bolt heads were too loose since they are rusty and beat.

I am now thinking of putting in LEDs 9005 & 9006 on Amazon one set has some 7100+ (4.5 star) reviews for $60. I will also get new turn signal bulbs while I am in there.

Please see attached photo of possible LEDs.. eBay has some sets for $14 and there are some Leads that are fanless - any advice is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No - how could I?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got those bulbs and I got these LEDs for the headlight fixture too (turn signal) - they will do the brake lights and some others too. See photo..
If it’s anything like my 04 intrepid, it’s 2 7mm bolts and the whole thing comes out. Don’t quote me on that but that’s how it is on my car.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
TGS knows what he is talking about.

Headlight skewer screws are interchangeable regardless if torx or hex head. I had a '98 and a '99 Concorde. The '98 skewers had torx heads, the '99 skewers had hex heads. That was the only difference in the skewers - totally interchangeable. The torx head are preferable - see my post no. 2 (3rd and 4th paragraphs) and post no. 3 in this thread for why that is: Replacing headlights

As others have already said, Intrepid bulbs can be removed without taking stuff apart, Concordes require partial removal of headlight assy. to replace the bulbs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for all the help everyone!

I think my skewers are 6.5 mm because they are a bit smaller than 7 mm.

They are rusty - unlike anything else on this Concorde.

Replacements $10 to $15 each - so I will see - I might get 4 good used ones for $20 from an eBayer - waiting to see...

Happy 2021 🎊🎉

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I changed my game plan - i decided to stick with 2 new 9005 and 9006 bulbs - any advice for longest lasting? Also advice on bulbs for the third bulb (3057) what would be the longest lasting and do these need to be yellow? I am still getting LED bulbs 3057 that would work there - but they are white light...

·
Woober Goobers!
50,757 Posts
You have a Concorde Limited.....doesn't it have Projectors?

I would go HID upgrades. Much better lighting and not much higher price. There's a few reputable vendors that offer upgrades that are highly recommended.

Lots of BS about LED bulbs that vendors are pushing but they don't offer the total lighting that HID does.

Reactions: Railoffroader2

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You have a Concorde Limited.....doesn't it have Projectors?

I would go HID upgrades. Much better lighting and not much higher price. There's a few reputable vendors that offer upgrades that are highly recommended.

Lots of BS about LED bulbs that vendors are pushing but they don't offer the total lighting that HID does.
Thanks Ronbo- I am sure it would be the nicest light - but usually when I am driving at night - these days - it is for some emergency. So honestly I think I want to go with whatever would be the most trouble free and long lasting for all 6 bulbs. I want to have everything working and for it to be trouble free...and yes I know, it's a 20 year old car. 😀

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I do agree with you NYCDahon. I hope nothing has happened when you say emergency. Well anyway, I hope that you will be able to change the bulbs in your headlights. Wish you luck!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts