DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some research using the search function, but I wasn't quite able to answer all my questions, plus a lot of what I found was for second gens, so I thought I'd ask here.

I am sick of the crappy Intrepid headlights, so I am interested in getting the Xenon replacement bulbs (not the kit). I looked it up at midnightmoose.com and it looks like I need 9007 for the lows and H3 for the fogs. I'm not sure if I need to worry about wattage or if just ordering 9007 and H3 will get me everything I need.

Any first gen people done this mod and noticed a good improvement? How difficult is the installation?

Lastly, how do you go about making your front turn signals white, is it difficult and is it legal?

Thanks boys.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Sdwndr ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
I haven't done bulb replacement yet, but I have attempted white turn signals.

Now..we may be talking about two different things here, so I'll address them both.

There is such as thing as 'clear' turn signals, which is the removal of the orange reflector inside the turn signal. Avengers, Stratus, Cirrus, etc can do this mod, but Intrepids cannot. The difference is that the their reflectors aren't molded into the plastic. Ours are, and can't be pried out. I've tried.

The other idea here is 'white' turn signals, as I assume you are referencing. Check your local laws first. Some stats allow them, some don't. In WI here as long as the light emitted is orange or white it's legal. Some guys around here run blue bulbs but get their a§'s pulled over eventually.

Hope that helped out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Make sure your headlights are aimed properly, this will help a little. Don't go by that stupid headlight level. But I'm sure you'll see a big differenct with the new bulbs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help...I think I'll do the replacement bulbs...What wattage do I need to get for both the 9007 and H3?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked on midnightmoose.com and it looks like the H3 only comes in 100W and the 9007 comes in 100/80W. I am assuming this is what I need to get and I won't need to worry about frying my electrical system or melting my foglights?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, I found another website that sells them, showparts.com...They've got H3s rated at 55w, sounds like that's what I need. What about the 9007s? They've got 100/80w and 65/55w. Sorry for all the questions, but as soon as I can get some people to confirm for me, I'm going to go ahead and order them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if i'm not mistaken buschman replaced the entire headlight assembly, not just the bulbs. i also think he said it ran about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I got 100W in my fog lights. no problems really, I only use them on the hiway in bad weather tho (they are called FOG lights for a reason), so they only have been on for about 2 or 3 hours in the last 3 month.....

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by Lafrad:
I got 100W in my fog lights. no problems really, I only use them on the hiway in bad weather tho (they are called FOG lights for a reason), so they only have been on for about 2 or 3 hours in the last 3 month.....
I leave mine on all the time, so I'm sure 100W wouldn't be good then...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read a FAQ about the Eaglite Xenon lights,
here's what it said:

Q – Will these melt my wiring, melt my housing, or run down my alternator?
A – If they are installed correctly and your wiring is not defective, even the high wattage bulbs should not damage wiring. The additional 35 watts from the higher wattage draws less than 3 amps of power. As a reference, your brake lights use approximately 70 watts (6 amps) and a cigarette lighter draws nearly 220 watts (18 amps.) In a poorly ventilated enclosure, typically the bulb will fail before any damage is done to the housing. In such an instance, the standard wattage is necessary and will provide a long service life.

I don't know, I think I'll get the 55watts just to be safe, because I have my fogs on a lot too (helps out a little with the poor headlights).

Okay, any first gen people know the wattage on the headlamp bulbs (for the 9007 xenon bulbs).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by ATFCharger:

The other idea here is 'white' turn signals, as I assume you are referencing. Check your local laws first. Some stats allow them, some don't. In WI here as long as the light emitted is orange or white it's legal. Some guys around here run blue bulbs but get their a§'s pulled over eventually.

Hope that helped out.
ATF, you've done the white turn signal mod? If you put white bulbs in there, does it look alright at night with the orange reflector there? I wear blackouts during the day so I don't care about what it looks like then, but at night I'd like a nice clean white look.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Sdwndr ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just noticed you said you didn't try the turn signal bulb replacement...My bad.

Anyone else try it?

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Sdwndr ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The headlamp wattage you want is 65/55. Otherwise drawing so much power with the others you might ruin your wire harness. I changed mine to the plasma blue halogens. They were $25 bucks a pair, and make a hella difference. As for marker lights i have changed those too. As far as i know mine are illegal though. I ordered bright red APC tinted glass marker lights for $6 a pair. They look sweet as hell at night.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: pimped3point3 ]

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have done the headlights on a couple 1st gens...they are a pain in the ass. All the components are plastic and will break if you try to take them apart. What i did was remove the turn signal first. These come out nicely with a clip in between the headlight assembly and the turn signal. Then completely unscrew the adjustment screws that aim the headlights. THis lets you pry the light outwards just enough to get your hands in there. Oh, and have some band-aids ready cause you will get cut.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, I am gonna have a nice bright setup! 100 watt fog lamps 100/80 watt headlamps. Maybe now I can see better at night! I quess we'll find out when my bulbs get here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when removing both the turn signals and the headlights? I don't want to set off my airbags...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts