DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new super white xenon bulbs, but the replacement in my 96' is TERRIBLE. I have the torx driver, but the mopar screws are stuck in the
PLASTIC housing. Anybody know how to trouble shoot this? Any help at all? Dodge dealers said it would be atleas $70 labor!! what the heck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up breaking the plastic by over-torquing the damn screws. I posted about this the other day, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i've never heard of anybody replacing the headlight bulbs WITHOUT breaking the case. it's a poor design. use tape or crazy glue to put it back together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately the nuts that are mounted in the plastic appear to have sheared away from the plastic so now they are just spinning, the side closest to the center of the car I can get to with a pair of needlenose pliers, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to get the other screw out. I am going to try taking out the turn signal for better access tomorrow, besides I ran out of daylight today! Anyone know if the replacement lenses come with the mounting screws, or if a direct match can be found for just one screw? I managed to lose the little bastard on top of the lens.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Yeah. I think everyone has problems with the light assembly in the first gens. Two of my screws were stripped to begin with. Luckily it was the outside 2 so I could just take out my corners and pivot the assembly out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishman - I got the same problem as you. The screws are stripped out! Let me know how that works with taking out your side signals. Looks like a had better start mixing some epoxy soon!

·
Registered
462 Posts
head light replacement bulbs

I guess I got lucky my screws came out with no problem (solution I would saturate the plastic with wd-40 I think that will work)

·
Registered
22 Posts
unfortunately they broke before i realised what happened, i figured the snapping was just them being tight in the nut, but it was the stupid thing breaking.

removing the turn signal helped alot, but i still had to break the rings on the back of the lens to get it off. i am going to just get new ones to replace them, they seem to be a popular item, i stopped at 6, count em, 6, junk yards today, nary a one had any lenses, bah!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you have the ability to, break the outer screw ONLY.

You can then swing the headlight bezel outwards on the other one and access the bulbs (like a door on a hinge). Neat trick I "accidently" found.

Works alright, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got those lights in tonite, and its looking pretty sweet. I had to break one of the inner screws, and the epoxy is curing on the plastic now. It just takes patience I guess. Now its time to upgrade the foggers........

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are you upgrading your fogs to? mine look ridiculous now that my headlights a nice clear white and they are the same dull brown. I was thinking yellow, but i dont know what bulbs would be a good fit and worth trying, the direct replacements dont look all that promising.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had this problem too! You should have seen me cusing the very name of chrysler as I was hack-sawing the bolts just above the seized insert. I used the best penetrating oil I could find. These darn inserts were welded to the darn bolt! After the terribly designed plastic "hinges" shattered away, I even was able to get a set of vice grips on the insert and still managed to strip out the T-15 head of the bolt. So there I am with just a hack-saw blade, no room for the handle. Had to cut three of four free! This is such a terrible disign. I feel that they owe me somehow. Instead of going out and buying new lamp housings for $100 a piece, i spent 6 bucks at ace for a fiberglass repair kit and new bolts and inserts. I've got a coat on now and am basically rebuilding the plastic that was destroyed, with fiberglass. This puts my dodge out of commision for a couple days while this all gets remade. What a bunch of poor engineering. I mean, all I was trying to do was change a headlight bulb. GOOD GRIEF!! :crazy:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
ATFCharger said:
If you have the ability to, break the outer screw ONLY.

You can then swing the headlight bezel outwards on the other one and access the bulbs (like a door on a hinge). Neat trick I "accidently" found.

Works alright, though.
That's what I did. The outer screw was stripped so I could use it like a hinge.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I actually had a problem with my 2nd Gen headlight bolt.

I guess whenver the last time I put one of the bolts back in, I put it in too tight. When I tried to loosen it to put in my SuperWhites, the head got stripped. I had to cut the head of the bolt off and spend about a half hour coercing the bolt out.

All the while DJPill was laughing his head off while I cursed the very ground that Chrysler walks on.:wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fishman - I'm not sure yet. My front end is like PIMPEDPOINT3's. I don't know yellow, or blue? I have no idea where to start.....
I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had to bust mine too...

It was the on the right light. All of the other screws came out just fine though. Oh well, I eventually got the lights in and I'm not worrying about it to much. But, my headlights are aimed like **** and I can't fix them to how I want them. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Stripped headlight bolt.

I had the same problems, two screws were stripped, on the left lamp the right screw siezed, so when I accidentally broke the plastic surrounding the metal insert, i was able to swing that one out, and after lots of wd-40 on the one on the right, and trying one week later, I was actually able to press on the bottom of the other screw on the right lens (left bolt I belive) it actually came right out as well, and I was able to pull that headlight assmebly right out. A 5 star Chrysler/dodge/jeep dealer down the street that the 96/97 headlamp part, not the bracket has been redesigned, so they throw a slightly better beam pattern, and will definately fit in place of a 94 first gen etc.
So I will be spending $50 at an online store to get those fairly cheap enough.:devil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts