DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you all know, retro is underway, kinda on hold. Working on getting some tsx if all else fails, e55 it is.

But anyhow, i know nothing about cars like mechanically. I just wanted to see if theres a way to remove the headlight support bracket and cut out a small region of it.

That section where the bulb plugs sits in (its rectanglular) i need to enlarge it and make it round. I would like to cut it outside the car.

Is there a way to remove it? Fairly easily, the car bcm or something is nearby so i dont want to damage that beside all of the metal chips that would fly everywhere.

HEres a pic of what im talking about, they sell them on ebay, so i thought they would be held in bolts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This cut needs to be done so the projector cap can be safely installed and make entire setup water tight.

·
Registered
509 Posts
as i'm reading what you're trying to do, i just don't understand what exactly you're trying to dissamble?
are you trying to take off your headlights? your brackets around it?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
he's trying to remove the metal piece in behind the headlights so he can cut a larger hole in it......I get what he's trying to do, I just don't know how to do it myself.

·
Registered
509 Posts
can't he just do it while it's there, it looks like he started cutting it from the back as i can see from the pic.

my best advice is look for screws anywhere or try to see if it's in the manual.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Avenger,

the part is available on ebay.

I just dont know if its a weld in or those bolts around it support it. Hard to tell by looking at the car. I guess no-ones tried to get that piece out.

Its odd when the part comes up, its only for 98-2000. did they change the headlight supports later?

THanks

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
96intrepid3.3(201) said:
can't he just do it while it's there, it looks like he started cutting it from the back as i can see from the pic.

my best advice is look for screws anywhere or try to see if it's in the manual.
It took me like 1 hr to cut that little piece and broke a few band saw blades.

Its really hard to cut, the metal in the section i cut was just 1 layer, the others are overlapped so its a pain due to the location, no room to move the blade and dremels just fly all over the place.

Ill try it tonight and see if i can get it out. I need to open it up to a good 80mm so its a little but of work with it inside the car.

I found out the retro will fit perfectly in the car (lenght wise, with the cap it should be the same lenght as the original bulb + plug. However the original plug goes through that little hole, which the cap wont fit through.

THanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
qp_20 put projectors in, you might wanna drop him a line and ask how he delt with your problem. Very cool guy, i think his real name is caleb.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i talked to caleb. He made his the same size as the stock, he used a PNP kit so he doesnt have a d2s socket to deal with. Im gonna just take it off one day if i can.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Why don't you use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade???? You can get it in really tight areas and in a couple of min it's over, no need to remove the headlight support. You know what I'm talking about right ?????

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm this saw u speak of ... can i rent it from homedepot/rona?

I only have a dremel with many bits.. and cutters.

No saws.

I need something powered for sure.

THanks, Denis

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Why don't you use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade???? You can get it in really tight areas and in a couple of min it's over, no need to remove the headlight support. You know what I'm talking about right ?????
lol I used one of those to cut my old headlight mounts off the car. Definately a good time.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
linuxglobal said:
hmm this saw u speak of ... can i rent it from homedepot/rona?

I only have a dremel with many bits.. and cutters.

No saws.

I need something powered for sure.

THanks, Denis
LOL it is powered, it's just like an electric bread slicer just bigger and more powerful, ask you dad he should know !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts