DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a not-too-expensive way to replace my tan/gray headliner(w/ the backer board) in my '99 SE? I've talked to a few buddies on here and so far I've heard a salvage yard, an auto upholstery shop, or the dealer(god-forbid). You are probably wondering why I need to replace my headliner. Well, I was installing an OTIS and didn't take my time and messed up on the cut into the headliner. The OTIS won't stay up there no matter how I position it or how hard I push it so I must of been pretty off w/ my cut.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, if anyone knows of a yard near them that will sell you a headliner(with backer board), let me know. If it's not too far from Georgia, I am willing to drive to pick it up. I know I'm going out on a limb, but I just wanted to put that out there. ;)

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Sounds odd. As far as the cutting of the headliner..when you position the OTIS up there...does it cover the entire hole in the headliner that you expanded? Or are you saying that you can't get the two clips to engage to hold it up? Also is it an OTIS or an EVIC? I know you said OTIS above but there is a difference in the depth of EVIC over an OTIS. The EVIC takes more space under the cover. A possibility might be that the clips on the cover are compressed and can't grip the slots that they go in. You could try spreading apart the clips a little bit. The other thing is that maybe you didn't cut enough of the headliner so that the OTIS doesn't go all the way thru the headliner. Basically you're looking at an opening that's about 3/16"-1/4" smaller than the outside edge of the OTIS cover. Let me know on any of this and we'll see about getting it to work without a new headliner.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's an OTIS. I don't know what to tell you about the clips. I try expanding them and have them match how my map light clips look. No luck w/ that. I think what might of happened is I cut too much headliner on one side and not enough on the other. It's almost like the curvature of the OTIS is preventing it from staying up there. I can get one clip engadged but when I try to put the other in the first one pops out. haha...I just know for like 2 hrs I tried to get it to stay(pretty much until my arms started hurting real bad).

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
OK..let me go out and measure the overlap of the cover versus the opening in the headliner on my car. It came stock with an OTIS and I have an EVIC in there now. The covers for an EVIC and an OTIS have the same outside shape and measurements. Then I can tell you what you need to do to get the opening the right size. When I had my 2000 SE, I installed an OTIS in there also with no problems. I'm pretty sure the plastic pan housing that's glued to the roof under the headliner is the same in all years. Give me a few hours.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
PM sent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.