DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
63 Posts
UPDATE:
I mentioned that I glued the clips onto the A-pillar trim with hot melt glue. This morning I got in the Intrepid to bring my daughter to school, and I noticed they had popped loose. I'm guessing the cold weather may have played a part in it? OR.... it's quite possible that it would have came loose regardless. Oh well, I tried at least. Maybe one day I'll try and redo it with some strong epoxy glue or something.
Automotive lighting Textile Wood Line Material property

Window Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Tree

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Intrepid with 3.5L Engine
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE:
I mentioned that I glued the clips onto the A-pillar trim with hot melt glue. This morning I got in the Intrepid to bring my daughter to school, and I noticed they had popped loose. I'm guessing the cold weather may have played a part in it? OR.... it's quite possible that it would have came loose regardless. Oh well, I tried at least. Maybe one day I'll try and redo it with some strong epoxy glue or something.
View attachment 42135
View attachment 42136
That's VERY disappointing!!! This makes me want to double down on my plan to just rip the current fabric off without dropping the headliner, seal the headliner, and then paint it. BTW - I was at our Pull And Pay junkyard today because they just received a 1995 Intrepid. And, yes, the fenders are plastic. They appear to be in great shape. The car is white, which is the color of mine. I've already gotten the hood off it. I ran out of time today, but plan to go back for the fenders and the bumper cover.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
63 Posts
That's VERY disappointing!!! This makes me want to double down on my plan to just rip the current fabric off without dropping the headliner, seal the headliner, and then paint it. BTW - I was at our Pull And Pay junkyard today because they just received a 1995 Intrepid. And, yes, the fenders are plastic. They appear to be in great shape. The car is white, which is the color of mine. I've already gotten the hood off it. I ran out of time today, but plan to go back for the fenders and the bumper cover.
What color is the interior? If it's gray would you mind grabbing me some parts? I can't find ANY first gen cars even remotely close to me. According to every yard that lets you search their inventory online, the closest place is in Corpus Christi TX which is at LEAST 700 miles from me. But their yard shows two 1st gens in stock.
I need a Glovebox or at least the glovebox handle, driver's door panel, or at the very least I need the section of the door panel with the AC vent and the handle. I also can not locate an AC recirculate actuator ANYWHERE. I believe that's what I need, the one behind the glovebox area.

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Intrepid with 3.5L Engine
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What color is the interior? If it's gray would you mind grabbing me some parts? I can't find ANY first gen cars even remotely close to me. According to every yard that lets you search their inventory online, the closest place is in Corpus Christi TX which is at LEAST 700 miles from me. But their yard shows two 1st gens in stock.
I need a Glovebox or at least the glovebox handle, driver's door panel, or at the very least I need the section of the door panel with the AC vent and the handle. I also can not locate an AC recirculate actuator ANYWHERE. I believe that's what I need, the one behind the glovebox area.
I went through a nearly two-year drought without being able to find a first gen. Then one of the yards got a 1996 Intrepid in the week after Christmas. And seven days ago, the other yard got in a 1995 Intrepid. I will be returning ASAP to get the remaining parts that I need. Not sure when it will be because the weather here is supposed to get cold and rainy/snowy (highs in the low 30's). I believe that the interior is gray on one of them. I believe the glove box and and door panel are still there. The last time I bought a door panel, they gave me the whole panel, switches and all, for $17.99. They list the glove box as $9.99 ($1.71 for the handle and $3.99 for the glove box lock). The other problem I have is that getting the remaining parts that I need will take my bank account way down until my next social security deposit. I'm sure we could work something out, though. As faer as the A/C, they list an A/C EVAPORATOR/HEATER BOX COMPLETE for $42.68. So, let me know (in detail) what you want, and we'll go from there.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I think the covers are made of ABS. If so, use acetone to melt the two broken ends and solvent weld them together. I don't think that will be as strong as original, so, if there's physical room (to not interfere with clip engagement) to wrap some thin ABS material around that joint (after wetting with acetone) like a bandage, it might have a chance of being a strong enough repair. It will take some experimenting, but might work.

Applying some grease as redmax suggested and/or filing the plastic to thin it a little to lessen the grip of the clips may go a long way on reducing the stress on the legs. Might be a fine balance between too much grip (breaks plastic) and not enough grip (covers don't stay firmly in place). I doubt if epoxies would be a permanent fix (I found that even the epoxies "for plastic" seriously degrade over time - eventually come apart). Regular J-B Weld might work, but still may not bond well enough - or it might with a "bandage wrap.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
63 Posts
I wonder if there's a way to drill in the A-pillar trim to the body. My 94 also has a broken clip on the driver's side.
I've thought about this as well. I used to have an 1980's Oldsmobile Cutlass, and also a Monte Carlo. Both had the A-pillar trim held to the A-pillar with exposed screws. In fact, nearly all the trim in those cars had actual screws in it instead of clips. I'm sure as a last resort, I wouldn't mind drilling a hole and using a large headed screw. Just need to be VERY aware of where you are drilling into, and not drill too deep.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I've thought about this as well. I used to have an 1980's Oldsmobile Cutlass, and also a Monte Carlo. Both had the A-pillar trim held to the A-pillar with exposed screws. In fact, nearly all the trim in those cars had actual screws in it instead of clips. I'm sure as a last resort, I wouldn't mind drilling a hole and using a large headed screw. Just need to be VERY aware of where you are drilling into, and not drill too deep.
When they come like that from the factory, I think they use oval-head screws (just like countersink flat heads, but head is domed slightly - not so stark as a flat head). IIRC, Ace Hardware and Lowes have that type of screw in their hardware drawers - might even be labeled as "Automotive Trim Screws" or something like that. Already painted a few basic trim colors - black, tan, etc. If not, I know they've got Phillips oval-head sheet metal or wood screws - chrome plated and black.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Intrepid
63 Posts
Correct, they were oval head Philips screws. Back then they didn't even come in colors, as far I remember they were ALL stainless steel finish. I've seen black and even gray screws on some other late 80's and early 90's vehicles though.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.