DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my autos class, my teacher was talking about this. What you do is, heat the dent (hot enough to make it hot, but not enough to damage the paint), and put a piece of ice on the dent after causing the metal to shrink and pop out. He said that it works great on something like hail damage but you're SOL on a crater or something serious lol. Just wondering, has anybody done this and what were the results? TIA for replies.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
I watched my body guy do that exact thing when we painted my bumper cover --not metal though. He didnt use ice, just heated the plastic, popped out the dent, then used a straight edge to get the final shape. Dont see why it wouldnt work on sheet metal.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Save that stuff for the pro's who have done it for years.

the process involves molecular changes in the metal and knowing when to stop!

Not for the faint of heart or overconfident!

·
Registered
26 Posts
" leave it for the Pros"

Nah Squash that crap - How do you think they got to be pro's ?

I have been installing car audio for over 20 years and ALWAYS give props to owners who are willing and capble of figuring out how to do it themselves. I would get a Used panel ( JUNKYARD) and dent it and try first though... Learn on someone elses stuff, ANd then MEasure 3 times, Cut once. ( I know its not wood work but the saying fits.... ) Prep Prep Prep - and then do 1 time.

I have done this and it works well, I highly recommend DRY ICE for the COld - you want the coldest you can get.

Good luck on the work :)

Ken

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Thats how the paintless dent repair is done that you see advertised. You can even do it in the summer with your car sitting out in the sun. It does work good for small stuff like hail damage. If the dent has any crease in it forget it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thats how the paintless dent repair is done that you see advertised. You can even do it in the summer with your car sitting out in the sun. It does work good for small stuff like hail damage. If the dent has any crease in it forget it.

dentless repair on metal is done thru small holes with curved metal rods and watching the shine on the metal untill there are no bends in the shine it's a art heating rubber bumbers yes you can use a heat gun but don't get it too hot and use a padded hammer wrap the handle and hold on to the claw part NO sharp tools for this info you owe me $500. in small bills

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Yes, they use long curved metal rods, I've seen it done, but that is NOT how all of them are done... That is just one tool in the box... heat and dry ice are the other thing they do.

And yes, a crease and you're finished.

Go get a junk yard pannel and go for it... I'd recomend it... See how many pannels you can get, and then how big a dent you can get popped up before all your dry ice melts away...

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Dry ice doesn't melt, it evaporates :)

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Technicality... I was thinking about that as I hit "Post Quick Reply" *chuckles*

Thank you for correcting me.

As a note, please read up on safety proceedures on handling and working around dry ice so you don't end up burned (from cold) or dead (from oxygen displacement), if you decide to play around with this...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a reason to do this, I was just wondering if people have ever heard of it/done it.

Go get a junk yard pannel and go for it... I'd recomend it... See how many pannels you can get, and then how big a dent you can get popped up before all your dry ice melts away...
What I might do is bring a sledgehammer, my tiny butane torch and there is snow on the ground lol.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Technicality... I was thinking about that as I hit "Post Quick Reply" *chuckles*

Thank you for correcting me.

As a note, please read up on safety proceedures on handling and working around dry ice so you don't end up burned (from cold) or dead (from oxygen displacement), if you decide to play around with this...
I remember back to my middle school days about the stuff. I always thought it was pretty cool. My science teacher had stories lol.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It works on large dents you can pull out with a suction cup but usually not on small door dings (the size of a quarter)

To work on small dings (usually caused by hail) you need to get the metal almost red hot and then quench with a cold wet rag. This generally doesn't work on newer cars because of the steel used in cars of the last 20-25 years is much different than before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts