DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone,
The heat vent is stuck to the floor vent, I needed it for the windshield, but it doesn't flip to any of the other choices.
As you see in the photo, it's basic manual system.

Thanks
i actually just fixed this when i bought my 00 2.7l. the mode door actuator in the center console is busted. it’s a ***** to fix but you can save 300$ or so doing it yourself after some hours of work.
basically, the actuator isn’t turning its motor/servo which controls the vents the air flows through. this can be either because of a busted actuator, which is about 100$, or some loose/frayed wiring which depends on pricing since it could be any level of problem.
make sure you buy a MODE DOOR actuator and not a BLEND DOOR actuator. mode controls which vents it goes through, blend controls temperature.

i followed this video, but be warned: pulling the actuator down and the vent below it down is a pain in the ass. it really requires some acrobatics to get in there, make sure you have a swivel extension that’ll fit an 8mm socket to make your life so much easier.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
i would have spoke up, but i'm unaware of the operations of the manual controller.
mode door is at the bottom of the ceter section.
removing radio, cd player, etc, gets you in at it.
it's right at the bottom pretty much dead center.
i've had to replace mine when i bought my lhs 8 years ago.
it was stuck on defrost.
small wrenches and sockets get in there.
don't remember if they are 8mm,/5/16" or 7mm.
back one is the hardest.
you may need to cut out some of the carpet/soundproofing on the floor to get at it cleanly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i actually just fixed this when i bought my 00 2.7l. the mode door actuator in the center console is busted. it’s a * to fix but you can save 300$ or so doing it yourself after some hours of work.
basically, the actuator isn’t turning its motor/servo which controls the vents the air flows through. this can be either because of a busted actuator, which is about 100$, or some loose/frayed wiring which depends on pricing since it could be any level of problem.
make sure you buy a MODE DOOR actuator and not a BLEND DOOR actuator. mode controls which vents it goes through, blend controls temperature.

i followed this video, but be warned: pulling the actuator down and the vent below it down is a pain in the ass. it really requires some acrobatics to get in there, make sure you have a swivel extension that’ll fit an 8mm socket to make your life so much easier.
i actually just fixed this when i bought my 00 2.7l. the mode door actuator in the center console is busted. it’s a * to fix but you can save 300$ or so doing it yourself after some hours of work.

Thanks, Hazel (and Yevrah).
At the time when I first posted, I had no idea about the heating system, when nobody responded, I searched YouTube and found 3 vedios, so I watched them, and next morning drove to the junkyard. I found 2 Concordes.
Wow, it was a nightmare pulling it out, at the time I was removing things to get to it, all I was thinking; my God, am I going to do the same thing when I work on my car?! I only wish I had a long size 8mm ratcheting wrench. I haven't installed it yet in my car, I have zero motivation installing it in my car.
I only hope the used one I got works.
Thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks, Hazel (and Yevrah).
At the time when I first posted, I had no idea about the heating system, when nobody responded, I searched YouTube and found 3 vedios, so I watched them, and next morning drove to the junkyard. I found 2 Concordes.
Wow, it was a nightmare pulling it out, at the time I was removing things to get to it, all I was thinking; my God, am I going to do the same thing when I work on my car?! I only wish I had a long size 8mm ratcheting wrench. I haven't installed it yet in my car, I have zero motivation installing it in my car.
I only hope the used one I got works.
Thanks again
i had the same experience, spent about 8 hours taking everything out. got a swivel and an extension and it took maybe 30-45 min to put the actuator and vent back in. best of luck w it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same issue . What a pain in the ass. my blend door motor was good . but the motors shaft is metal spline or whatever . attaching to plastic arm of blend door. well after so long it naturally wears out . metal strips the plastic so motor then just spinning and cant get a bite . well I got some 2 part jb weld epoxy and carefully fused motor shaft into stripped out blend door arm . . it worked for over a year . then 100 degrees out and my ac was blowing threw the windshield defrost vent stuck . so hot out it was frosting my windshield up . this time arm on blend door was stuck ?? I broke it . now I manually can adjust it reaching under to adjust it . would fix it it but man to much labor to do it again . engineering metal drives to plastic hubs . degree not needed to figure it out .hopefully the motor on yours is the issue cause if yours is stripped like mine is well you'll need the arm and maybe even the door. just would suck man all that labor and have it be same issue as mine . i hope you get it fixed . i took my glove box and stuff completely out last time it was easier that fighting around it but damn those metal reinforcement bars . good day and best of luck . my intrepid se 2001 3.2ltr

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had same issue . What a pain in the ass. my blend door motor was good . but the motors shaft is metal spline or whatever . attaching to plastic arm of blend door. well after so long it naturally wears out . metal strips the plastic so motor then just spinning and cant get a bite . well I got some 2 part jb weld epoxy and carefully fused motor shaft into stripped out blend door arm . . it worked for over a year . then 100 degrees out and my ac was blowing threw the windshield defrost vent stuck . so hot out it was frosting my windshield up . this time arm on blend door was stuck ?? I broke it . now I manually can adjust it reaching under to adjust it . would fix it it but man to much labor to do it again . engineering metal drives to plastic hubs . degree not needed to figure it out .hopefully the motor on yours is the issue cause if yours is stripped like mine is well you'll need the arm and maybe even the door. just would suck man all that labor and have it be same issue as mine . i hope you get it fixed . i took my glove box and stuff completely out last time it was easier that fighting around it but damn those metal reinforcement bars . good day and best of luck . my intrepid se 2001 3.2ltr
Well, I fixed it. All is good. I removed the radio and the three ducts (middle+both on the side) I didn't have to remove the glove box, and had relatively easy access. This time, the hardest screw to take off / and back, was the back screw on the middle duct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts