DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Its aluminum and plastic. Not sure that acid is a good idea.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Its aluminum and plastic. Not sure that acid is a good idea.
The radiator is aluminum but the heater core is not I don't think...

But yes, acid may not be the best option anyway. The heads and intake are aluminum anyway.

How do you plan on running the acid through it?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I believe the last one I saw was copper.
Really? My mistake, sorry. I could swear that the last one I swapped was aluminum.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Hrrrrmmmm I could be wrong - I didn't go through with the change, I returned the core when I found my leak elsewhere.

Thinking about the heater core tubes sticking out of the fire wall is all I can go on for sure right now. Most of the time there is enough solder flow around the fins that the outer shell of the core will look aluminum.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Core tubes on the one we changed were plastic. Had to change the core because my step son cracked one of the tubes off the firewall. I don't know that they are all plastic but this one was. Sort of the the radiator, plastic tank and tubes and aluminum core.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
WOW... Plastic tubes...

The heater core I bought was from NAPA, and it was not plastic tubed or anything plastic... Odd...

Where'd yours come from?
Rock Auto. The original dodge piece had plastic tubes as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,
To flush I removed the Heater hoses from the core and replaced it with temporary tubing
on both.
Also, the visible portion of the tubing is copper, I just don't Know if there is any aluminum inside
the core.
Muriatic acid will eat aluminum cans.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Muriatic acid is just a shelf name for hydrochloric acid. Not only does it eat aluminum, but the chemical products are pretty nasty as well. I would know, as a kid I made 2 liter bottle bombs with the stuff all the time.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Depends how long you leave it in there and the concentration. Water soluble. Parietal cells produce hydrochloric acid that helps to break down food.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Muriatic acid is just a shelf name for hydrochloric acid. Not only does it eat aluminum, but the chemical products are pretty nasty as well. I would know, as a kid I made 2 liter bottle bombs with the stuff all the time.
I needs me some fluroantimonic acid. Time to protonate some hydrocarbons!
Kaboom!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts