DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my heater/air con I hear this choo choo choo sound slow and rythmic. The speed does not change when I turn up the fan.

The sound disappears when I change the air output say from floor to defrost or vent. What I mean is I can hear the sound then a little whirring noise as doors are being opened and shut redirecting the air and then once the whirring stops the choo choo choo sound starts again. After a while 15 to 20 minutes it goes away. It's loudest when the car is cold in the morning.

My guess is it's something to do with the mechanism that redirects air. I wonder if a door is stuck.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one else is experiencing this problem... but to make it more interesting I found last night that if I turn the temp control knob down two notches from the highest level the noise goes away....

Not sure whether I'll just use it like that or take the car back to the dealer.... I kind of have a feeling that if they start pulling the dashboard apart other things are going to get broken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the same noise, Tom, it does it with the heat knob turned all the way up, when i turn it to cooler just a bit it stops, im sure i will take mine back to the dealer because my 2002 ES is only a few monthes old.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2001 is only a few months old too... bought in August.

Does yours do it constantly ... I was at the dealer for an oil change the other day... had someone come out and of course no noise... it seems loudest when the car is cold in the morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes mine makes that noise constantly if the heater dial is turned all the way up. i think something else is wrong too because when it is turned just a little way from the fully cold position it gets total heat. im hoping the dealer will get it squared away, other than that im very happy with the car. im not sure how impressed i am with the dealer though..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same sound and if yours is the same sound as mine, it's not coming from the vent, it's from under the hood. Pop your hood one day when you hear the sound and take a listen around the AC compressor area. The sound goes away as soon as I'm not at idle speed anymore. I need to set up an appointment with the dealer and see what's going on.

skellyo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like it could be the motors that change the airflow behind the dash...

better have it looked at, you could be left cold this winter... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts