DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Intrepid ES with the 3.5 Liter. Lately I've been noticing that when I use my heater, it's very warm while I am driving...but when I'm idling, like at a stop light, it gets cold...I don't know why. Any suggestions? Sometimes after this happens it won't go back hot at all until I switch it to cold then back to hot again. Could it be my thermostat? Also...alot of the time when I get out of my car, I can smell burnt rubber...it may be coming from the engine, but I don't drive it hard..and also sometimes the air the blows out of my vents smells good..and sometimes it stinks like mildew, how can I fix that? I saw on TV that you can spray Lysol disinfectant into the air intake outside the car, below the windshield. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Burnt rubber? Or the sweet smell of Anti Freeze burning. How is the level of fluids in your radiator? Sounds like you have a leak in the system somewhere.

Have you noticed any moisture coming out of the defroster? Could be your heater core leaking. If you are low on fluid, and you turn the system to cold, you shut off the valve feeding the heater core. After some pressure builds up, and you turn the heat back on, you may have enough flow to produce heat.

If it is your heater core, I have the 4 pages of instructions from a mechanic to remove the entire dash, to access it...

At least a 10 hour job...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the heater core went out on my truck once. it sucked. we remedied the problem by cutting the hoses that lead into and out of it, putting them together and running one of those $4 clamps over it and just eliminated the core from the loop. that worked for texas winters, doubt it would work for much north of the mason/dixon line though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts