DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today, my heater quit putting out hot air, but air still blows out of the vents. Does this mean my thermostat is out? Someone showed me how to change the thermostat- it looks pretty easy. The guy told me that it's only about $5. Is that true? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think that if your thermostat was shot your car would be overheating (as the thermo determins the water temp passing between the radiator and motor). Correct me, someone, if that's wrong.

It may be a heater core (which ain't fun cuz that's buried in your dash/firewall).

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I had a thermostat go out on a car I had once, and when it did it failed in the open position (which they are all supposed to do) so coolant was constantly cycling through the engine and not allowing it to heat up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If the temp gage in your cluster is registering anything above ambient, you should get heat. If it is not registering any reading after you have driven the car for a while, then I would change the thermostat. Yes it would be under $10 to do that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you have ATC, reset the computer... Mine does this every few months, a quick reset (Pressing the (1,2,4 top row of buttons simultainously) will reset the ATC computer for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts