DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2002 Intrepid used with 95,000 miles and within a few weeks I got a flat front left tire WHILE I was driving and I barely made it back home.

It kind of freaked me out since it's never happened before. It got me thinking because this is the biggest car I've ever had but obviously there are much bigger cars on the road like all the SUVs, Jeeps, minivans, vans, stretch sedans, etc. and I've NEVER heard of them having higher risk of flat tires, you know?

My previous cars were a Mazda Protege and a 2000 Chevy Malibu.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
No, the size of the car doesnt matter. The only way you would get more flats is if you were running a grade of tire which is below P (passenger) load range, if you found something below P in a size that would fit our cars chances are it would not be DOT approved anyway.

If the car had a larger footprint (area of tire that actually touches the road) I guess there would be a slightly higher odd of picking something up but the % would be so small it would take a team of MIT geeks just to figure it out

·
Registered
239 Posts
Probably just picked up something off the road. Great opportunity to learn how to change a tire or impress someone with your already acquired tire-changing skillzzzzz...I for one like to time myself if I ever have to change a tire just for fun. :drool:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think a lot of flat tires come from people not keeping thier tires properly inflated. I can see alot of cars I'm driving behind that one of thier tires are low. I've had maybe 2 or 3 flat tires in the past 10 years and that was from getting a screw or nail in them, not a blow out. Go by the door sticker. I believe the 225's run 32 lbs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You probably just got a nail in your tire or something. Jeez. Until last week my car had the eagle GA's that were installed when the car was manufactured. Never had a flat tire or a leak it just ran out of thread. At 55k miles, a bad alignment and increased wear I guess the tires did thier job.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
It could also be that bigger cars have thicker tires. Especially SUV's and trucks.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
So at 40 tons, my Freightliner should never get a flat?
Not from a little thumb tack lol. But a nail or something bigger and sharp should do it. Or if you have really old tires that should have been changed a few years ago, then yeah, you might get a flat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got 3 in the last year and half of course i drive 36000 miles a year so. I also drive on a lot of construction sites so my chances of picking something up are good. I think the scariest thing is i had the right front blow out and i mean explode on me at 70mph and i was in the far left lane with an 18 wheeler just behind my right quarter.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I had a flat last year, but it was because the tires were bald. New tires would never have picked up the small nail that punctured my tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts