DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this site and I'm hopefully optimistic that it can help.

I have a 1st gen (apparently -- 97) Intrepid ES. I'm the original owner. I love my care and it's been a good car for all the 168k miles on it. Transmission went out a couple of years ago, but I heard that was normal.

However, lately, it seems lots of things are going wrong with the car and it bums me out. I'd like to fix it, but I'm not really a car person, though I can do little things. I just had to have a new radiator put in, a new oil pressure switch, inner tire rods and more recently, rack bushings. (I don't know if I've use the right words, but that's what I think I was told.)

So, encourage me -- this car is worth keeping, right?

I look forward to checking stuff out and seeing if can do some small repairs myself...

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Don't let the small things discourage you. Yeah it's a pain in the butt to fork over your cash to fix things up... but in the end it'll be worth it. Keep in mind also that your car is 7 yrs old, and it could be from normal wear and tear. Keep the faith. :)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
the older a car gets, the more issues you can have. if the option is a car payment, you may want to consider it the car payment for now.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
All that stuff is normal wear-n-tear and every car has them at the age and mileage that yours has. There will be several other little things like that over the next few years (sub-frame bushings come to mind) - as has been said, it's cheaper than a car payment ... :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You will have to spend a lot more money for something as worthy as your 'Trep has been than what you have already spent on repairs. So, bottom line, no, you wren't foolish fixing yours, and was money well spent, unless you enjoy monthly car payments. You may want to start paying yourself monthly payments by putting money in the bank faithfully every month, so when the time comes that it isn't worth it to fix your car any more, you will have a sizeable down payment...

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
bongobobny said:
You will have to spend a lot more money for something as worthy as your 'Trep has been than what you have already spent on repairs. So, bottom line, no, you wren't foolish fixing yours, and was money well spent, unless you enjoy monthly car payments. You may want to start paying yourself monthly payments by putting money in the bank faithfully every month, so when the time comes that it isn't worth it to fix your car any more, you will have a sizeable down payment...
That's very good advise ...! I wish I had been smart enough to do that when I was younger!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts