DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't have an intrepid... but a "friend" asked me to join.

i have 2 ford tempos and a mercury topaz. and an F-150 truck, also a festiva and a chevette. 61 chrysler 300G and a 59 rambler wagon

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Welcome to the site!!! I learned to drive on a '62 Rambler wagon and my first car was a '62 Newport (361-2). Always wanted to swap out for a 413 but couldn't afford it in HS.

wb6vpm said:
Here's a link to the history of the 300 Letter Cars: http://www.chrysler300club.com/History.htm

The 1961-64's were pretty wild. I just happen to have some pics of the '61 from another thread. Notice the "+" in the grill? That and the circular "300" emblem in the middle is the easiest way to recognize one regardless of year. The letter cars continued until 1965, which had an "L" designation (a different letter for each year), hence the 300"M" when Chrysler decided to bring them back.

On the upper left of the dash are the buttons for the tranny - heater controls on upper right. 'PARK' was a pedal on the floor much like the parking brake of later years, but this model didn't have a parking brake, per se, just the tranny inter-lock (drive-shaft brake). Notice the position of the rear view mirror. The chrome "stacks" on top of the dash are A/C vents, I think - correct me if I'm wrong, my Newport didn't have A/C. Also note the 150 MPH speedometer (mine only went to 120).

A very unique engine - Chrysler started playing with intake runner length in 1958 (think Christine). The longer tubes moved the power band downward to counter the continuing problem with low-end power in the RB series. The 413 eventually ended up as the 440. The "generator" (bottom center) on this one has been changed out for a more modern alternator ...

Sorry for the long post - that walk down Memory Lane got to me ... ;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
D76G12 said:
Welcome to the site!!! I learned to drive on a '62 Rambler wagon and my first car was a '62 Newport (361-2). Always wanted to swap out for a 413 but couldn't afford it in HS.

Here's a link to the history of the 300 Letter Cars: http://www.chrysler300club.com/History.htm

The 1961-64's were pretty wild. I just happen to have some pics of the '61 from another thread. Notice the "+" in the grill? That and the circular "300" emblem in the middle is the easiest way to recognize one regardless of year. The letter cars continued until 1965, which had an "L" designation (a different letter for each year), hence the 300"M" when Chrysler decided to bring them back.

On the upper left of the dash are the buttons for the tranny - heater controls on upper right. 'PARK' was a pedal on the floor much like the parking brake of later years, but this model didn't have a parking brake, per se, just the tranny inter-lock (drive-shaft brake). Notice the position of the rear view mirror. The chrome "stacks" on top of the dash are A/C vents, I think - correct me if I'm wrong, my Newport didn't have A/C. Also note the 150 MPH speedometer (mine only went to 120).

A very unique engine - Chrysler started playing with intake runner length in 1958 (think Christine). The longer tubes moved the power band downward to counter the continuing problem with low-end power in the RB series. The 413 eventually ended up as the 440. The "generator" (bottom center) on this one has been changed out for a more modern alternator ...

Sorry for the long post - that walk down Memory Lane got to me ... ;)

wow, thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts