DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just purchased a used 98 Intrepid 4 dr ES Sedan today! Its the 3.2 V6 w/ leather, elecric everything.. got it for $7000.

It has a blown speaker in the drivers side door. Mechanic I took it to to check out car before I bought said "It has infiniti speakers that have little amps on each speaker, so very expensive to replace.

Sounds like crap, want to get it replaced. New to car audio, can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I just take it to Car Toys, and let them work me, Or do I buy the speaker individually, and let a friend that knows this stuff install for me?

Sorry I don't know much about this stuff. Let me know if I wasnt specific enough!

Happy 4th everyone! Go blow some stuff up :)
Ryan

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Some guys here swear by the infinity stuff. I prefer aftermarket myself. If you want the infinity replacement, try ebay or the buy and sell here.

Amp on the speaker? Not sure, the infinity system has amps in it buy I'm not sure if each speaker has it's own amp. As long as the amp isn't built into the speaker (I doubt it) then you can replace it with any speaker with the same specs. I'd replace both front speakers instead of just one if you're going aftemarket to keep the system "balanced".

Maybe one of the Infinity guys can add something here. Avenger and TFC come to mind.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

I want it to sond gooood. I have a bazooka tube my buddy is going to help me put in the trunk, and plan on putting a different deck in it. The one that came with it doesnt read any of the CDs I burn, much less MP3s like my last cd player did.

Thanks much for your help!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the "amp" he's referring to is the crossover that is mounted to the speaker basket. However, our Infinity systems don't even have those (unlike some other Dodge products like the Ram and Caravan systems). The only amp in the Intrepid is the one mounted in the kick panel of the passenger-side footwell.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Gman2000R/T said:
I'm pretty sure that the "amp" he's referring to is the crossover that is mounted to the speaker basket. However, our Infinity systems don't even have those (unlike some other Dodge products like the Ram and Caravan systems). The only amp in the Intrepid is the one mounted in the kick panel of the passenger-side footwell.
Well then, just get a couple good speakers and replace the stockers!

The only limit is your budget.

Cheers

BJ

·
Woober Goobers!
51,840 Posts
The Infinity speakers have a different resistance than most standard speakers or even the Mid-line speakers that came in the base. I think they're 2ohms instead of 4. If you put different speakers in and use the Infinity amp it'll sound like crap. Part # on the 6.5" Infinity door speaker is 4760374. MSRP $70.85 and Online $48.87. Check out the B/S/T forum there's at least a few members selling them for less. I think Chief Brody has a full set of 6 speakers for $50 and TFC Torontofirecaptain) has individuals also for much less than the Dealer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i think the mechanic meant there is more wattage being pushed throughout the system and more speakers. you can get a replacement, but id just say get a nice component set and amp them to have a kickass front stage :D

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If you plan on upgradign the deck in the future you're probably going to want to bypass the amp anyway so you might want to think about gettign aftermarket speakers. In the eman time though if you want everything to sound good before you upgrade then do like Ronbo said and try to buy one from a member here. Ronbo was also correct in that the infinity stockers are 2ohm. If you hook up an aftermarket amp or headunit to the stock speakers by bypassign the stock amp you run the risk or blowing it becasue of the lower impedance. On the other hand, if you put aftermarket speakers in with the stock amp and deck then your impedance will be too high and the speakers won't sound good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, Thanks for all the imput!

Very informative.

Unfortunately, right now the speakers are no longer the concern with my new rig.

Last night, I was driving on the freeway, check engine light came on.

Right after I dropped off my friend, I felt that something really wasnt right. I was stuck running at 4K RPMs. I pulled off the freeway, tried the auto stick... It was stuck in second. My mechanic buddy said this is the 'failsafe' mode for the transmission.

Took it to the dealer, they are going to look at it and try and find the problem (hopefully just speed sensors) Or i read it may be the transmission control unit, or something deep in the transmission.

Apparently, the dealer's mechanics cant look at it today. They hooked me up with a rental, and are trying to get me into a different vehicle.

I drove that car for a day, and I fell in love with it. I hope its something easy to fix, otherwise they 'ding' my extended warranty I bought on it, and I don't get it refunded at the end of the loan period. If I dont use the warranty, I get a full refund on it.

I love this car, but I was very disappointed that I'm already having problems with it TWO DAYS after I bought it.

Sorry to ramble on in the wrong forum, gonna paste this into the general discussion one now to get some feedback from owners.

Thanks for your help everyone! Hopefully I can keep the car long enought to put some nice AM speakers into it! :)

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
yeah, what you refer to is commonly called "limp mode"

did the speedometer happen to stop working? its usually just a sensor that goes bad..

it happens just that fast, my speed sensor died when i stopped at a gas station to get gas, pull in its workin fine, start car drive away.. dead sensor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found out, yes it was the speed sensor. Whew! Going to get it back tommorrow.

Is there any way to hook up my bazooka tube (model RS6A-HP) into the existing system before upgrading the deck?

I am told the Bazooka already has a little amp built into the back of it.

From what I read in replies to the post, if I hook a different speaker into the existing system, I risk blowing it, or it will jt sound like crap due to the difference in impedence?

Thanks for being patient with me, I'm ignorant as far as car audio is concerned...

I know my computers, but cars, and stereo systems, are like a foreign language to me! :)

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool, thanks!

Just to clarify, If I want to put a new head unit in there, I need to replace all the speakers, and get a new amp installed as well, correct?

Stupid stock deck won't read any of the CDs I burn :/

thanks for your time!

Ryan

·
Registered
383 Posts
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

he told you there were "little amps" in each speaker?? What a dumbass.

FYI: I just replaced every speaker in my 01 ES (full package) including bypassing the original amp.

I can help you w/absolutely any problems you run into, from where the wires are, to how to run them, to how to fix everything up.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72409

One thing that's not on that thread, is that I replaced the hyper series Stinger interconnects w/a 4 channel helix series.

You can get it for $27 at cardomain ( http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISHX417 )
and price matching this place: http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=D&Product_Code=SHX417

they have a 105% garauntee, so you'll get it at $27

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I swear this is the last battery of questions, Then I'll leave you alone... Sorry! I bet I sound like a broken record...

Do you know what kind of input is on the infinity amp that is behind the kickplate? Is there a proprietary output from the factory head unit in the dash? Is it possibly a DIN, or an RCA ? If not, Is there an adapter that will change input on the amp to standard RCA? (low level)

Basically, I just want to install a new head unit, use the existing infinity amp, and speakers that are already there.... Is this possible?
Sorry for all the questions!

Just wanted to say thanks for being patient with me, and helping me out!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.