DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so from reading I see it is a misfire condition on cylinder #3. The CEL is staying on and it's idling rough. I have been reading the threads and see several mentioning swap the coil pack. Is it as simple as say pulling the coil pack off # 3 and swapping it with the one in front? Any special tools needed to get the coil packs off? I washed the engine last weekend and maybe have loosened something, as it seems the problems started just after that. I am going exploring tomorrow.

Guidlines and things to watch for appreciated.

Max

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Well, for starts what year, mileage and engine are we talking about? As far as swapping coil packs, there are only two bolts holding down each coil pack on the 2nd gen engines. Some use regular hex head (like mine) and others use torx bit bolts.

A misfire could be any number of things, including an ignition problem. It could also be caused by a bad fuel injector. And many other things beyond this. If you want to rule out a few things, try swapping things one at a time. First, swap the #3 coil to a different cylinder and run the engine and see if you end up with a code 030x, where x is that new cylinder. If you don't, its not the coil. Next try the spark plug. Next try the fuel injector. Each time you try a different part, run the engine and check for a new code.

Misfires can be the result of serious problems besides what I've already mentioned. Misfire codes are logged anytime an incomplete combustion event occurs. That could be as simple as a bad spark plug, coil or fuel injector, or it could be as major as a blown head gasket, burnt valves, etc...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the wire off the coil and started the car. It shakes much more noticeably than when the wire is attached, which leads me to think the coil is okay. Engine is a rebuilt 2.7L with 131,000 kms but about 12,000 on the motor since rebuild. Funny thing, since I bought the car new in 99 it has never had the plugs changed.

I know, I know :icon_frow

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
MaxinCanada said:
Funny thing, since I bought the car new in 99 it has never had the plugs changed.

I know, I know :icon_frow
Well, I'd say that's a good place to start. It should take no more than 1/2 hour to do them on a 2.7. I know, I did mine last spring, easiest plugs I've ever changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts