DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. ive been having a radiator leak and it leaks pertty bad. well i was driving today and the tempature gauge starts to clim im like ****. then it goes down to half way and climbs up but not all the way up to the red line. I know this should be my radiator has anyone had similar problems.

is the only thing that i have to do is replace my radiator. how easy it to install one i looked at in the haynes manual it looks pertty simple. thanks for any info

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is the fluid leaking from the actual radiator, or maybe from one of the hoses (upper or lower)?

In any event, if you want to replace the radiator, it's not that hard. You will have to remove the upper frame brace (the black piece with the four bolts in it). After that you can pretty much get anything out.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to dodge an scheduled for a oil change. So i called and aksed them the parts Departament for the price of the radiator. It was $310.00 so im not sure what to do. i just want a temporary 1-2 months fix. you think pep boys or any auto zone will have the raditors cheaper.

Also some sugested tach welding the leak area for a temporary fix????

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well, your radiator is most likely a combination of aluminum and plastic. Aluminum can be welded, not the easiest thing, but possible.

Another alternative you might want to consider is a junkyard radiator. Any reputable yard will be able to pull a radiator and check it for defects before you go on your merry way. You will save beaucoup dollars too.

Replacing a radiator is not that big of a deal. Make sure the car is cool, have a container to drain the fluid into, and a basic set of hand tools. The hoses might be a bit of a pain, but if you work at them with a twisting motion they will come off.

A word to the wise: I would HIGHLY reccomend staying away from any type of coolant additive. They do nothing but contaminate the coolant with junk and rarely work. I have known such additives to cause heater cores to fail.

Good Luck!
:)

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: MoparHead ]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: MoparHead ]

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i'm sure any radiator shop in the area might have a rebuilt one. call around, would be a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its leaking and the thermostat is runing hot i mean the tempature gauge goes all the way not nearly to the top but almost and then when i slow down it goes down to half way. i guess its the radiator and also the thermostat you guys think??? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
First find where the leak is. Don't buy a radiator unless it is the problem. Leaky hoses can trickle down and make it look like the radiator is the problem. If you put in a new radiator, put in a new thermostat. Look at the condition of your water pump and hoses while your at it.
An ounce of prevention ,etc,etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts