DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ridiculous wheel bearing problem with the M.

I get a fine wheel bearing vibration sound while driving, only when veering to the right...such as a curve on the freeway, changing lanes, etc. Straight, and left, all is quiet. Slow speeds below 45 it is hardly noticeable.

Wheel bearings feel good, run quiet up in the air. CV axles feel tight.

Could be either one, but noise when steering to the right makes me want to replace the left wheel bearing. Which one would y'all replace?

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Do both seem tight when you shake 'em in the air?

·
Premium Member
16,402 Posts
Up until about 5 years ago, I would have said the opposite - noise on right turn = bad right bearing. But in recent years, I've seen it go both ways, so you can't go by which side you turn to make it noisy or quiet. (I could explain why that was and why it changes, but too much info. involved - it has to do with the plane of the tread center being exactly centered over the center of the bearing - that not being centered - like with non-standard wheel offset or using spacers - will throw it one way or the other as far as same side or opposite from which way you turn to make the noise. Well that's about 80% if the explanation.)

Dan - I've never done it, but the best way I've read of that makes sense to really tell which bearing it is is to turn the wheel by hand with it jacked up with a stethoscope on the knuckle. The stethoscope will pick up the noise that you otherwise wouldn't hear or feel without the bearing loaded.

If you guess, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting it right - so one philosophy would be replace one - either one. If that fixes it, your done. If not, then replace the other - or if you're a cheap SOB, put the old bearing back in and move the new one to the other side. :)

Like I said - 5 years ago I would have been adamant that the right one is bad, but now IMO, it's a toss up.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Yeah I know Dr Tom recommends spinning the wheel while on a hoist, put your hand on the strut spring... should be able to feel it. But I do like the stethoscope-on-the-knuckle thing.

It'd give me a reason to open the stethoscope I bought at HF earlier this year. :D

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Up until about 5 years ago, I would have said the opposite - noise on right turn = bad right bearing. But in recent years, I've seen it go both ways, so you can't go by which side you turn to make it noisy or quiet. (I could explain why that was and why it changes, but too much info. involved - it has to do with the plane of the tread center being exactly centered over the center of the bearing - that not being centered - like with non-standard wheel offset or using spacers - will throw it one way or the other as far as same side or opposite from which way you turn to make the noise. Well that's about 80% if the explanation.)

Dan - I've never done it, but the best way I've read of that makes sense to really tell which bearing it is is to turn the wheel by hand with it jacked up with a stethoscope on the knuckle. The stethoscope will pick up the noise that you otherwise wouldn't hear or feel without the bearing loaded.

If you guess, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting it right - so one philosophy would be replace one - either one. If that fixes it, your done. If not, then replace the other - or if you're a cheap SOB, put the old bearing back in and move the new one to the other side. :)

Like I said - 5 years ago I would have been adamant that the right one is bad, but now IMO, it's a toss up.
Yep, I agree. Used to think the same way. Only reason i would "guess" that the left is the culprit is there is more load on that bearing in a right turn, due to the shifting weight of the car to that side :dunno:. Its a crap shoot, 50/50.....probably would be better to change both, but, I'd rather just change the bad one.

I could always just remove both, roll them by hand, see if I can feel which one is loose. Or wait till it gets worse, makes noise constantly.

MrBigE said:
Yeah I know Dr Tom recommends spinning the wheel while on a hoist, put your hand on the strut spring... should be able to feel it. But I do like the stethoscope-on-the-knuckle thing.

It'd give me a reason to open the stethoscope I bought at HF earlier this year.
Yeah, had it spinning up in the air and all that. Both sides felt the same. Nothing out of the ordinary, only acts up when its loaded with the weight of the car I reckon.

Stethoscope sounds interesting, might be able to hear the worn bearing with no load on it. If you come to the meet, maybe we could test that theory lol.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It'd give me a reason to open the stethoscope I bought at HF earlier this year. :D
Its reassuring to know im not the only person who has stuff bought from hf still in the box just waiting there til i need it.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Stethoscope sounds interesting, might be able to hear the worn bearing with no load on it. If you come to the meet, maybe we could test that theory lol.
Grrr... :D I'll put it on the packing list!

Its reassuring to know im not the only person who has stuff bought from hf still in the box just waiting there til i need it.
:D Hanging on the pegboard next to other stuff I haven't needed to open yet. LOL

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
It may not be a wheel bearing at all, could be your c/v shaft. Mine made a nasty popping and clunking noise only when turning right, and it turned out to be a shaft. When you have it lifted, it won't make noise since it doesn't have any wieght on it.

·
Premium Member
16,402 Posts
It may not be a wheel bearing at all, could be your c/v shaft. Mine made a nasty popping and clunking noise only when turning right, and it turned out to be a shaft...
Popping and clunking noises at slow speed are generally CV joint issues. Bearing noise is more of a higher pitch hum at higher speeds - like - oh - 20 mph and above. That part's easy to distinguish (i.e., whether it's a bearing or a CV joint).

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
stethoscope is a nice tool. but, you can also use a say, 2 foot long prybar, stick it to the knuckle and listen to the handle,, its the old , cheep mans way to listen.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
just a thought, I know Glen put a set of firehawk GT's on the car,, there a lousy tire, very prone to noises,, maybe rotate them and see if the noise goes away?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Depending on how much mileage you have on the current bearings you may want to consider just replacing both. Never considered using a stethoscope for listening to a wheel bearing but I am now for sure. For the record I always have used the longest screwdriver I own as a stethoscope.

·
Premium Member
16,402 Posts
just a thought, I know Glen put a set of firehawk GT's on the car,, there a lousy tire, very prone to noises,, maybe rotate them and see if the noise goes away?
Maybe - I've had a noisy tire before, but I've never had a tire noise that was turned on and off by zig-zagging - only a bad bearing (that's just my experience).

...Never considered using a stethoscope for listening to a wheel bearing but I am now for sure. For the record I always have used the longest screwdriver I own as a stethoscope.
Which end goes to your ear? (j/k)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, its still got the Firehawks on it. I get alittle tire noise from the right rear, but nothing to serious yet.

Depending on how much mileage you have on the current bearings you may want to consider just replacing both. Never considered using a stethoscope for listening to a wheel bearing but I am now for sure. For the record I always have used the longest screwdriver I own as a stethoscope.
Yeah, might just swap both and be done.

Maybe - I've had a noisy tire before, but I've never had a tire noise that was turned on and off by zig-zagging - only a bad bearing (that's just my experience).

Which end goes to your ear? (j/k)
^^This.

I am going to just drive it for now, more pressing issues have come up with my tractor, have to get those fixed. Bearing issues just the same lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts