DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Dodge intrepid with a 3.5 l high output and I just recently replaced the shift solenoid and once I got everything back together my gauges aren't working no gauge lights my radio isnt working and my headlights aren't working either I charged the battery but it won't start without a jump or anything it was throwing codes for the Oxygen sensor but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
From your list of things that aren't working, it sounds like Fuse 19 is blown. If Fuse 19 is blown, your door locks also won't work from your driver door lock switch and you trunk lid open switch won't work.

The fact that you have to get a jump to start it is a little hard to pinpoint. Check your connections at the battery posts, check that the neg. jump post nut is tight, and check that the two nuts on the positive jump post stud are tight.

IMPORTANT: Remove the battery cable at the neg. jump post before putting wrenches on the positive jump post nuts so you don't short/arc weld one of your wrenches if it happens to contact nearby grounded metal while on the pos. jump post nut.

You might need to use a voltmeter to troubleshoot for a bad connection somewhere in power and ground connections if physically checking the connections I mentioned doesn't solve it.

If you have a poor connection at the jump posts, that could cause the no-start without a jump and could mimic a blown Fuse 19 without the fuse actually being blown.

Kind of difficult to troubleshoot from a distance, but try the things I mentioned and report back.

Is it possible that your battery is shot and that's why it won't start without a jump? You can learn a lot by measuring voltage between different positive and negative points in the path from battery posts to starter when someone turns the key to Start. If voltage between the actual battery posts (not on the cable clamps, but the actual battery posts) drops way down when key turned to start, then battery is shot. If voltage stays above 10 volts when key turned to start, then problem is likely a poor connection somewhere downstream in the positive or negative path between battery and starter. Use the voltmater to find point of bad connection, indicated by large voltage drop when key turned to start.

Also disassemble battery cable clamps and clean any battery acid residue and corrosion from battery posts and cable clamps with baking soda/water paste, rinse clean, dry, and re-assemble (coat all surfaces of cable clamps and battery posts with chassis or bearing grease before re-assembling - the grease will not interfere with making good connections but will prevent future residue and corrosion).

Be aware that battery acid residue will eat holes in your clothes, so don't wear good clothes while messing with battery residue. (Holes won't show right away, but you'll see them after you wash those clothes - do not wash those clothes with any other clothes the first time thru.)

Do you have an FSM so you can refer to the wiring diagrams in section 8W? (Aftermarket manuals cannot always be trusted to have the correct wiring diagrams for your year car.)

Hopefully your next post will be reporting problem(s) solved, but if not, report back with any findings or puzzlements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got it running it was having ground problem but my dash lights working and fog lights but for some reason now my high beam and low beam won't work and my turn signal on my front passenger side won't with no blown fuses do you know what this could be?

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Do you gave the FSM? Wiring diagrams (section 8W) are the key for troubleshooting.

Bulb sockets clean, not corroded? Check intermediate connectors. Do not leave any grease or fingerprints on headlight bulb glass or they will overheat and blow - always wipe the bulb glass down with clean cloth and alcohol as last step when installing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You mine as well clean all your grounds to the car that are easy enough to access. On my 1996 I had so much boot grease and oil caked on my frame from previous owner that it completely covered the ground connections like a rug.

Use a multimeter!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts