DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 Intrepid's cradle mount or (sub frame bushings) are bad. Meaning the rubber is almost shot. All four are this way and none of them will come out with an impact wrench!!!! Are their any tricks for getting these out? This is a bad design. The nut on the bottom goes through two bushings and through the frame. On the top side of this is, I'm assuming, a square piece of metal that the cradle bolt goes through. This tacked on 4 sides and then the whole thing is covered with a pot metal skin. Therefore when the impact is put on this bolt it just spins!!!! No way to get to it or cut it out! Please, anybody help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Im sorry to say but your first mistake was using an impact on them instead of a breaker bar but your not dead in the water yet.

What you need is a 4 inch angle grinder to grid off the heads of the bolts then you will be able to remove the bottom bushing.

Once the bottom bushing is removed you will see there is about two inches of the bolt remaining that you have to beat on to dislodge it from the inside of the cradle.

You will need replacement nuts and bolts and large washers the same size across as the square nut attached to the bolt you removed.

I will tell you though you have one hell of a fight on your hands with all four to do i know for a fact because i had to do just the front ones on mine and it is a *****.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for replying. I had a feeling when he used an impact wrench on it that was a mistake. It's sounds like this is gonna be a nightmare. Are you saying that you have top beat the bolt upwards until it breaks through that skin and then what??????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nuts and bolts and what size????

Where's the best place to get the nuts and bolts for this and what size?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you follow my instructions you will get them out because i only have one arm that works and i did it so i know you can.
Hey, me too!

Where's the best place to get the nuts and bolts for this and what size?
It's been a few years since I did it but I used Grade 8 bolts, overkill, since Grade 5 would be plenty good for this application. You can take the bolt you removed to a local supply store and pick out what you need.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The size your looking for are M14x2x105 and i do recommend getting the best you can find considering they hold on the entire engine/cradle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I think I'm just gonna get these from a hardware store or John Deere. JD carries alot of these heavy duty air plane grade type of nuts and bolts so I think I'll try there first. I would think the x2 is the head size and the "105" means maybe centimeter? Don't know, but thanks it's a place to start!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts