DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing around with the IDE cables, trying to install 2 new CD-rom drives (1 40x cd-rom (semi-working) and 1 4x HP burner (semi-working I think)) on top of the 32x cd-rom that's already in there (semi-working), but then I realized I didn't have enough power cords in the case, 1 short, sooooooo I disconnected the original CD rom and plugged the other 2 into the secondary IDE along with power cables. Wouldn't start up, problem: Couldn't auto-detect the secondary master or slave.

sooooooooo I disconnected the secondary IDE cable from the motherboard. tried starting up again, NEW PROBLEM: Says my system disk is INVALID :(

I have the boot sequence on C:, A: it says my HD is an invalid system disk, but I booted off of a floppy and the HD IS in tact, including the command.com file.

I don't know what to do, HELP!!!!!

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
what o/s are you running? 95? 98?

put your bootdisk in and wiat for it to loadup, then type sys c:

then when it finishes reboot...

tell me if that works

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Your hard drive is probably not connected to the primary ide controller and set as master.

Also... keep in mind that certain hard drives sometimes have two different settings for master. Some have master (single drive)... and others have master (with slave present). Make sure that if you also have a CDROM drive connected to that controller... that your hard drive is set for master with slave present.

Also check the computers bios to make sure it sees the hard drive on the primary ide controller.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Stailfish said:
what o/s are you running? 95? 98?

put your bootdisk in and wiat for it to loadup, then type sys c:

then when it finishes reboot...

tell me if that works
I wouldnt do this right away. I doubt the boot record on the hard drive was wiped. Do what i suggested first... and throughly... and if that doesnt work... then look for other options.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had the same problem a couple days ago when i was installing my a cdrom in my sisters computer.

sys c: fixed it.

If your cables werent connected properly then you shuldnt be able to see your c: drive when you booted from the disk.

BUT then again, i only had that problem because i was installing the cdrom while my computer was still on and it locked up on me.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I NEVER disconnected IDE cable from the HD or never disconnected it from the motherboard, the only thing I did with THAT cable was connect the middle connector it to a slave CD drive, when that didn't work, I disconnected the slave CD drive, sooooooo the only IDE device connected on my comp is the HD

I disconnected the secondary IDE cable completely. :(

Oh, sorry, I'm running win '98 (second edition I think)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Make your computer back to the way it was before it had these errors with the same hardware setup. If you get the same error i bet you that its your boot files. IF you really dont have anything important on the computer, just format the drive.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Stailfish said:
I had the same problem a couple days ago when i was installing my a cdrom in my sisters computer.

sys c: fixed it.
You can see a hard drive thats a slave on the primary partition, or a hard drive thats sitting on the secondary hard drive controller if you boot from a floppy. You just cant boot from that hard drive unless its Primary/Master.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG, I never changed it FROM a primary master :(, I just enabled LBA mode and it's starting up now, but I don't have the CDroms connected, Windows isn't loading properly though, WTF??? :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts